[RESOLED(sort of) ]Resolume showing waveforms not thumbnails

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
gqn
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

[RESOLED(sort of) ]Resolume showing waveforms not thumbnails

Post by gqn »

I also can't seem to load .movs, I can drag them in, but no clip thumbnail appears and nothing plays when I click the clip. Have already tried re-installing Resolume.

Last edited by gqn on Tue Jun 02, 2015 22:03, edited 2 times in total.

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Resolume showing waveforms instead of clip of thumbnails

Post by He2neg »

For me this looks like the clips you try to play are audio only, are you sure the video inside the clips is ready to play and not broken? (Try to play the file in quicktime)

And the few normal questions :

Version of Resolume ?
File Format ( .mov ) and Codec you use ?
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Have you made sure you have Quicktime installed?

gqn

Post by gqn »

I did not have quicktime installed, however installing quicktime and reinstalling resolume did not resolve the issue.

The clips work fine in quicktime, and the stock clips output fine, I just can't see the thumbnails on the deck or load new clips.

Windows 8.1
Resolume 4.2.0
Unknown codec, downloaded some beeple loops (.mov)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Resolume showing waveforms instead of clip thumbnails

Post by Zoltán »

edit: delete the thumbnail files in your directory http://resolume.com/manual/en/r4/locations
your thumbnails should be regenerated on loading your files.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The problem is thumbnailing the files. We've been using FFMpeg for a while to open files when they are first loaded. If for some reason that fails, we try to fall back on Quicktime. This can happen for instance when FFMpeg doesn't recognize the codec.

On 4.2, we made a silly mistake where DXV files would not open with FFMpeg. As long as you have Quicktime installed or aren't trying to load new files, you don't notice. Playback is still hardware accelerated. If you don't have Quicktime installed, the file also plays as normal, it's just that blank thumbnails are created.

We're bringing out 4.2.1 shortly to address this and a few other issues. In the meantime, the quick solution for the thumbnailing is to install Quicktime and clear the thumbnail cache: https://resolume.com/manual/en/r4/locations

If you are having problems with a file with an unknown codec, we'd love to take a look at it.

gqn

Post by gqn »

Thanks for the advice, however now I have Quicktime installed and thumbnails are still not loading (as you said, clicking on the waveform makes the clip play). I have cleared the thumbnail directory. Note that this refers to the stock clips in the example composition. The random loops I downloaded are still not working, and I have yet to try anything I've made.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Can you contact us directly? Please and thank you.

gqn

Post by gqn »

UPDATE: Downloaded a different .mov pack and they worked, thumb showed and all.
Exporting my own clips using DVX3 also shows thumbnails when loaded and plays correctly.
It seems only the example clips and the bleeple pack were having problems.