Fading edges to hide jagged resolution issues

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Fading edges to hide jagged resolution issues

Post by DayVeeJay »

I did an install last week on a curved DJ booth last week with a single projector. I was surprised at how much of it I was able to cover. The edges of the booth are almost perpendicular to the projector so it stretched the projections out so much that I had 1" pixels on the X axis. I used the vignette effect to get rid of this issue on the top, bottom and right side. However it didnt work quite as expected on the left side. I suspect it may have been due to the projector being mounted to the right a bit. I ended up using another layer and a gradient. It'd be really awesome if we could get an edge fade effect with more control or be able to activate edge blending without a second monitor.

As I type this I realized I may be able to do the later solution. If I add another slice, can I activate edge blending without selecting an output monitor? If this is the case can this be done on all four sides of my output slice? I've done edge blending before but I've never done anything with this much distortion correction.... We had hundreds of points on the grid. In this case the top/bottom of the output slice looked like a U shape. If I use edge blending, will the fade follow the U or will it be straight?

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Fading edges to hide jagged resolution issues

Post by DayVeeJay »

Ok I just did a bunch of testing and am answering my own questions...

I set up a composition with three layers: Two for visuals and one layer that had a black solid color. The composition was routed to a screen/slice that was the full size of the composition on both the input and the output. I created four more screens each with it's own slice. Each of those four slices was responsible for fading one edge of the screen. I did some testing with my visuals slice by giving it a bezier curve. Sure enough the fade followed that curve. It gave me the control I was looking for even though I had to use an extra layer. I suppose an improvement would be to allow an edge blend with a crop/mask or possibly to select a solid color as an input.

Thanks for making such an amazing piece of software! I look forward to using it and watching it grow for years to come :D