Multi-Camera Setup / Previewing multiple Sources

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
christianpeters
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Multi-Camera Setup / Previewing multiple Sources

Post by christianpeters »

What I'm trying to do is to create a multiview (e.g. 4 live sources) to preview them at the same time. I know I can preview a live source when I hit the Clip's Name Tab, but I need to watch all 4 (or more) sources at the same time in order to switch to the right camera and to give advise to the cameramen. Is this possible within resolume or would I need to split the signal (in my case SDI) and run it through a separate multiviewer? IF it's possible, would it even be possible to have a red box around the "live" image (like a professional video switcher has...) ?

I thought about creating a composition for that, but then I would have to separate that composition from the one I'm creating for my audience somehow - if it's even possible to create two compositions at the same time. OR I could do a double-width composition and have the multiview on the second slice to put it onto another screen, but that would be very hard to configure as I would need to prepare everything (every arrangement) with every possible multiview ?!

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Multi-Camera Setup / Previewing multiple Sources

Post by drazkers »

If you have no monitoring solution. Double wide the composition. Have all your sources to the right side at full opacity(Layer 1-4). Then have all your sources at half size stacked to the right with layer router(layers 5-8). Now you have mini previews that you can see. Have layer 9 which is full size on the left side, use the layer router to switch between sources(Layer 1-4). Use Advanced output to take layer 9. Use midi controller to control.

If you have an HD TV and two outs i'd use advanced mapper and input router to map all your sources to a HDTV screen to mirror the v800 layout. Use the layer router to switch between sources and send that to another output.

I'd never suggest this on any serious gig. I'd just rent a v800 and capture that output. But this works.

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

I would set this up similar to drazkers. Lets say you have four video feeds. I would use one screen for controlling resolume, another for preview and the last one for your video output.

Composition Layers
1. Output selector: LR6, LR5, LR4, LR3***
2. Preview selector: LR6, LR5, LR4, LR3
3. Live Feed 4
4. Live Feed 3
5. Live Feed 2
6. Live Feed 1
7. Red Outline for Preview Selection. Scaled to 25%.

LR=Layer Router. LR6 would be Layer router for layer 6
***Each clip in layer 1 has the Visution IR OSCSA effect applied to it. This effect sends an OSC signal to adjust the X position of the red outline on layer 7***

Advanced setup
Screen 1
This is your main monitor so will probably want to use it for controlling resolume

Screen 2: Output
Slice 1
Full Screen input and output. Just to be on the safe side the input source should be set to Layer 1 instead of the composition.

Screen 3: Preview
Slice 1 - Red Outline
Full screen input and output slice. Input source is layer 7

Slice 2 - Live Feed 1
Full screen input, Source is Layer 6
Size 256x192 (25%)
Position 0, 0

Slice 3 - Live Feed 2
Full screen input, Source is Layer 5
Size 256x192
Position 0, 256

Slice 4 - Live Feed 3
Full screen input, Source is Layer 4
Size 256x192
Position 0, 512

Slice 5 - Live Feed 4
Full screen input, Source is Layer 3
Size 256x192
Position 0, 768

Slice 6 - Output Preview
Full Screen input.
Size 512x384 (50%)
Position this somewhere under the preview slices
preview.png
How it works
On the preview monitor you'll see each of your feeds on the top and your output on the bottom. You can select which feed you would like to send to the live output by clicking on a clip in Layer 1. When one of these clips is clicked, IR OSCA sends an OSC command to adjust the X position of the red outline.

There are a few more little details that I skipped and the numbers have been rounded to make it easier to understand. It is possible to achieve this using column triggers instead of IR OSCA. I can explain if you'd like

christianpeters
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by christianpeters »

Wow - that's very cool! Haven't thought of the possibility to use a single layer as a source and to transform it in the output. I'm going to try this as soon as possible - thank you very much!

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

I went ahead and created the composition. It's different than what I described. It has a large preview window in addition to the live output. IR OSCA doesnt allow for fine values so it wasn't possible to have it adjust the X value of the red outline. I created four clips with the outline, each at a different position. IR OSCA triggers the corresponding outline clip. There is a layer to select the source to show in the large preview area.

You'll need to install IR OSCA and enable OSC input within the preferences window. To get this up and running relocate "4ch video mixer.png", copy 4ch Video Switcher.xml to "Documents\Resolume Arena 4\presets\screensetup" and replace the clips on layers 3-6 with your inputs. I'd suggest replacing the media in the clip instead of the entire clip.

Please note that I havent done any testing beyond what is in the composition. Feedback and modifications are always welcome.
resolume screenshot.jpg
Preview.jpg
***Edit The screen setup (mapping) file was missing from the zip file. It is now included***
Attachments
4chVideoSwitcher.zip
(14.33 KiB) Downloaded 573 times

dbassix
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by dbassix »

Did a test on a similar setup today. We have an upcoming event, where we need to playout two projectors (1920 x 1080 each on a separate output) and a multi viewer (1920 x 1080) for backstage.

The composition consists of 4 capture devices (decklink mini recorder - pcie), which are routed to the multi viewer, and layer routers which route the inputs to the 2 projectors.

Composition is similar to the one in the post above (but real capture devices ;) )

Problem here is, because having all 4 inputs enabled for multi viewer at the same time, the framerate drops down to 35fps. (vsync off - turning vsync on gives around 29-30fps but stuttering in captured image)

If only 1 or 2 cards are enabled, framerate is stable at 59-60fps.
Is that some problem with the gpu (ati hd7850 eyefinity 6), or is that a general hardware / software problem?

Got this issue on both an i7 5930k and MacPro 5.1