DXV codec not working in Adobe Oct 2017 updates

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Snudis
Is taking Resolume on a second date

DXV codec not working in Adobe Oct 2017 updates

Post by Snudis »

Last week I was transcoding Quicktime DXV clips on a Mac computer, then the Adobe Premier update happened in 3rd week October 2017 and now I can't transcode in DXV anymore.

Furthermore the Premier software displays warnings that I won't even be able to ingest these clips in future versions, does this mean I have to retranscode my entire VJ library soon or I won't be able to access anymore through Adobe?
This is a large library of clips that took months to create in DXV and the only reason I use DXV is because of Resolume.

I notice Resolume 6 Beta is out so what is the roadmap for DXV?

Here is the Adobe forum link that appears to say there will be no more ongoing support for DXV?
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2396734

And it seems for Windows users, Apple is dropping Quicktime and Adobe again doesn't show any support for DXV;
http://blogs.adobe.com/adobecare/2016/0 ... n-windows/

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: DXV codec not working in Adobe Oct 2017 updates

Post by francoe »

When quicktime dissapears you still can play dvx files on resolume, is his own compression (in fact R6 don't work anymore over quicktime). For the other questions just make a search, there's some large discusions with proper answers from resolume team. ;)

Snudis

Post by Snudis »

1) I searched before I posted.
2) I just searched again, nothing.
3) I have just lost a day that I could have been transcoding for an upcoming gig.
4) What do you mean R6 doesn't work anymore with quicktime?
I can't see any proper discussion about this? All I can see is the next update is going to cost a lot of money and I won't even be able to create media for it using Adobe software? Things are not looking good.

francoe

Post by francoe »

Snudis, don't get scared to easy, if you compress it your material to dxv, that's well invested time!
Resolume will allways plays dxv by himself.
In fatc, Adobe and Resolume will not need quicktime anymore (this move comes from several years ago).
When Resolume opens a file, we first try to open it ourselves. When we see it's DXV or PhotoJPEG encoded, we use our own player. This means you get hardware accelerated lightning fast playback with DXV, and turbo fast playback on Photo-JPEG.
https://resolume.com/support/en/video
DXV is not a QTKit codec. Resolume does not need QTKit to play back a DXV encoded file.
The one thing that was great about QTKit, is that it was used in other apps *to create* .mov files with 3rd party codecs. So you can export a DXV encoded .mov file straight from After Effects or Cinema4D or any app that supports QTKit.
With QTKit being deprecated, and AV Foundation not supporting 3rd party codecs, this means that eventually, you won't be able to export DXV encoded files directly from After Effects.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10216&start=30
This last post is from two years ago. I'm not part of developer team or visionary to tell you how we will compress to dxv one time qtkit gets totally deprecated (I'm just a user like you). Don't you be thinking developers are wasting time and effort to improve a codec that will die, right? we all know quicktime will be deprecated from 2013!.

More here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13266&p=54626&hilit ... ted#p54626
The important thing to remember is that .mov is a container format and not necessarily tied to the Quicktime Player or even the Quicktime playback system. An application doesn't need to have Quicktime installed to be able to read and write files in a .mov container. You just need to be able to understand the data in that container.
all changed when Apple retired Quicktime in 2013. At the moment, there is no real alternative for such a professionally supported container.
Since Apple deprecated QT, we've been working on getting rid of it completely. In the future, you will still be able to playback .mov files as well record from Resolume and create DXV encoded files in other software. Whether we use the .mov container, use .mxf, make our own .dxv container, it's all a bit potahto/potayto. We'll think of something that will work.

Just take a breath! :D

francoe

Post by francoe »

BTW, not related to qtkit deprecation but, adobe from cloud subscription model is releasing the buggiest and unfinished software in market. Many of us are trying to stick on 'what works', and jumping just when is a need. I'm an after effects user with 20+ years on his back, and think 2017 still isn't a reliable tool.

Snudis

Post by Snudis »

Hey Francoe,

thanks for digging up all that info, I appreciate it.

I too have been using Adobe for a long time, ie Illustrator v1 & Photoshop v2... The latest Adobe release seems a little slower but has added many things I was waiting for including PDF output module in Bridge, but I digress.

I am aware Quicktime is just a container file for DXV files, so are you saying at present point in time they are still deciding which container file to use going forward? Do you know when this will be announced? I respect your loyalty to Resolume, it's the one I've been recommending to people and training them on too (for beginner VJs). Last week I taught 3 people about how I transcode before leaping into Resolume, now I realise I am dispensing obsolete information but there is no definitive resource online to see where the latest stage of DXV is at, and this is the core of Resolume, it's on their main page with a huge download button but then to learn how to use it you have to dig around on forums and still not know exactly what is going on.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

To re-iterate and summarize what's mentioned in the threads linked above:

DXV is our own codec. We will always make sure that you can play back your DXV encoded files in Resolume.

QTKit made it possible to create and play back DXV encoded files with every software that supported QTKit. That was awesome. Now with QTKit being deprecated, there is no alternative for a similar blanket solution that will work for every software. So we'll have to come up with our own solutions to export DXV files from the big softwares.

It's not so hard to create your own exporters for Adobe apps, so that's a direction we could take. Another solution can be that we'll come with our own batch transcoding tool. Or a combination of those. The point is we've been aware that this would happen since 2013 and you don't have to worry, we'll take care of you.

Unfortunately, we can't force Adobe to playback DXV encoded files natively. That's up to them to implement. We did have some talks about this with them (apparently there's a big tv studio somewhere in South America that uses Resolume and Adobe intensively, and that put us on mighty Adobe's radar). So far, they're saying we're too small to be worth the effort :(

francoe

Post by francoe »

Thanks for the clarification Joris.
Playing DXV on Adobe products is by far the less common problem (I think we just do it when need a quick reedit o recompress). Export from Adobe is different thing, pretty more common task. But you already know all this. :lol:

Snudis

Post by Snudis »

OK, thanks for the clarification, it's good to know where we are at.

Yes, it is far more important for me to export from Adobe, I have no need to view my DXV files in any other software than Resolume. So creating some kind of container file for the DXV seems like a good approach to be able to export from the big video editors.

Christoph
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Christoph »

hi! this discussion is a few months old but yesterday the new updates for after effects and premiere came out and now it seems that dxv-support has ended.
on my computer i can't import any dxv-files into premiere or after effects anymore and - what's even more annoying - i can't export dxv-files anymore. did i miss some workaround or a new container that needs to be used with dxv?

for the moment i will try to get back to the older version of premiere and after effects as i'm working on a project which needs dxv-import and -export.