Msi Stuttering issue

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Vjcheshire
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Msi Stuttering issue

Post by Vjcheshire »

So I've been dealing with this odd stuttering issue with outputs from resolume. Been going back and forth with it and figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has a solution before I send this laptop back for another RMA (first time was a bad ram dimm)

When I output from resolume I get random stuttering in the videos. Sometimes its minimal, but sometimes its really bad. It seems to be quite random when it happens but I've been able to force it to happen quicker by pulling outputs and replugging them. I've tried lowering resolutions, different monitors, led walls/processors, rolling back the driver, switched a ton of settings on the 3d nvidia control panel, and gone through the minimal bios settings.
Here are my findings so far:

1. Vsync on makes it much worse. stuttering is very noticable and it comes on much quicker.
2. Unpluging, using other apps, etc after resolume opens makes it worse.
3. On this laptop only if I move the main control windows around (shake it) it will go from 140fps to 60 fps with only the test card playing and it stutters the test card.
4. With Vsync off and if i restart resolume completely after everything is plugged in, I can get about an hour or so of good playback without the stuttering.
5. While the video is stuttering I have opened VLC on the same monitor with the same clip and it plays fine.
6. Sometimes its only on 1 of the outputs and not all. Varies from time to time.

Using Res 7 latest version (i've tried rolling resolume back as well) I have no problems with any of my other computers like this. Not even computers form 2015.

My next step is to clear this off and RMA it back to MSI and see if theres a hardware issue. My worry is there isn't and Im stuck with this laptop that cant play resolume videos smoothly.

Specs - MSI GT76 Titan DT 95g, m.2 ssds, Core i.9, 128gb ram, 2080 nvidia gfx card...

Video of the issue:

https://wyw.box.com/s/g5ko5qxh5u6kfu5st6cot1m3q1n2vhf0

https://wyw.box.com/s/a62cw0ve2pk6qjrj0bi5pt45twjbmlqd

https://wyw.box.com/s/z2lxjsc41t19kynmhq4guyzds2gozkye

https://wyw.box.com/s/6bzfp6xyt9j0qrdei6p4f3x9f7htc26g

boris.lema

Re: Msi Stuttering issue

Post by boris.lema »

Is the stutter there when you start resolume? Because there is another post about a stutter what start after some time than after that resolume crashes. Don’t know if that is your problem but...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19393

Vjcheshire

Post by Vjcheshire »

I have read this whole thread. I believe my problem is different. I can get this to happen almost right away. Additionally I have not seen anywhere on the forum where if you move the resolume control screen you get a massive drop in frame rate, which I believe is related because I can shake that window and it effects the output stuttering on test card as well as content.

elgarf
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by elgarf »

I experienced same stuttering. It's worst if internal screen 4k@60, also running firefox with hardware acceleration add stuttering. Not sure why =( it's true for resolume 6 also.

Vjcheshire

Post by Vjcheshire »

This only happens on this laptop. I have 3 desktops and 4 other laptops (as well as have tested 7 on 3 other laptops that my Vjs have) and this is the only one that seems to stutter. Its odd that it does it on the test pattern. I have a feeling theres something up with the intel integrated graphics and the 2080.

If I throw the resolume window onto the external monitors, it seems to fix it, or at least the stuttering from shaking the main window. This is hard to test while running shows or visuals as it hides behind the main output though.

Vjcheshire

Post by Vjcheshire »

So after some more investigation and talking with MSI support it seems like its some sort of conflict with the intel UHD 630 driver, nvidia drivers, and resolume.

So far the only temporary fix I've found (and yes everything in the 3d settings on nvidia is set to use the 2080 card ) is to make whatever external monitor the main monitor then open up resolume and move it back to the laptop monitor. This seems to fix the stuttering. It def stops the frames from dropping when moving the resolume window. Will test more to make sure it fixes all of the issues.

Not exactly the way I wanted to run resolume on this new laptop though...

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Sounds like Optimus messing with you: https://resolume.com/support/en/optimus-workaround
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

VJ JCarvv
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by VJ JCarvv »

When I add my executable the preset order is incorrect. I would love any help fixing this. Sorry in advance I’m still learning. My FPS will drop to single digits when triggering a column or single clip as well (seems to be random). All clips are full HD and the most I trigger is 5. I’ve read everything the forums have to offer on optimus, vsync, and composition frame rate etc. and believe my settings are all correct. I still can’t figure out what’s causing this so hopefully the workaround solves all my problems.
MSI GS65 Stealth 9SE-478
i7-9750h
Nividia RTX2060
32GB Ram
Attachments
0FDCE3F0-3211-454A-B51D-D83069C768F7.jpeg

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Nvidia has a built in preset for Arena 6, and Resolume 7.0.5+ installs the preset for itself.
Try to do a clean driver install, and get the latest Resolume 7 installer from our download page.
Then when it asks to give Admin privileges, allow that, and you should be all good.

The preset is installed with the default app path, so don't move the executable from c:/Program Files/Resolume Arena.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu