Problems with NDI

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
fiverecords
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Problems with NDI

Post by fiverecords »

Hi everyone, I have a problem. I use the ndi monitor for apple tv for advanced Arena output. Up to version 7.0.3 it works well for me, but from version 7.0.4 onwards the color and definition are bad. In the topic of version 7.0.4 it says that the ndi output was changed:

# 13286 Change NDI output mode to be Straight Alpha

Could that be the problem? How can I solve it?
Thanks greetings.

fiverecords

Re: Problems with NDI

Post by fiverecords »

I answer myself in case someone has the same problem. The sienna´s app "NDI monitor" has a problem with the sources that have alpha channel. I have solved the problem by putting a solid color under the video, but it is temporary, I hope Sienna solves it. It is not a problem of Resolume. Thanks also.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Could you post a sample footage that looks incorrect in NDI monitor?
Thanks!
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

soisdetraca

Post by soisdetraca »

Hi there,

I think this may be related. We've being sending a composition with alpha through NDI from a laptop running Resolume Avenue 7.1 to another one running the same version. The footage received had many black artifacts.

We tried sending different footage with alpha (DXV footage, Spout ) to see if the problem was with the source, but the problem remained. We also tried sending only a layer through NDI with advanced output and still no improvements.

I'm posting sample footage in which we sere sending some white moving text with alpha from Resolume's Text Animator . The red background was added later in the receiver to be able to see the artifacts, since they are black

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i-wlZe ... sp=sharing

However, using Resolume 6 in the sender the artifacts disappeared..

Thanks

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

This seems to be a recording of a different issue.
We'd need the original footage, so we can try to recreate this, could you send us that?
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

soisdetraca

Post by soisdetraca »

Actually it's not footage... It's just a Text Animator generator from Resolume (See attached picture). We are sending this through NDI to another computer and the glitches appear at the other end.

However the same issue happened as well when sending other sources, such as DXV3 footage with alpha. At first we thought it might be a problem with the encoding of the footage, that's why we used a generator.
But the problem persists with generative sources that have transparency.

Cheers
Attachments
NDI alpha - generator source.jpg

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Are the machines connected via wired Gigabit Ethernet?

soisdetraca

Post by soisdetraca »

Yes, we're both connected to a router via wired Gigabit Ethernet. The router is not connected to internet and both laptops with wifi turned off.

As I mentioned in a previous post, we replicated the same conditions (same text generator, composition, network, etc) only changing the Resolume version of the sender to Resolume 6 (trial) and the black artifacts dissapeared in the receiver (which was still running Resolume 7)

thanks

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

What version of NDI tools do you have installed? What kind of switch/router? I am having issues recreating this. Tried connecting PCs directly to each other and over a switch i have.
Resolume PC 1: v7.1, NDI tools 4.1, red background, animated vertical movement like you have , sending over basic NDI output and sending over advanced output NDI. this has rtx 2080 super
Resolume PC 2: v7.1, NDI tools 4.1 no black artifacts from PC 1 inside resolume or NDI studio monitor, has 2080 laptop version
Resolume PC 3: v7.04, NDI tools 4.1, no black artifacts from PC 1 inside resolume or studio monitor, has gtx980

soisdetraca

Post by soisdetraca »

To recreate the issue in Resolume PC 1: get rid of the red background!! You need to send animated vertical movement with transparent background.

The red background was only added on the PC receiving NDI to better appreciate the artifacts, since they are black. :) Sending footage with no transparency works fine.

No NDI Tools installed. We are just using NDI installed with Resolume. Both laptops with gtx860M