DMX Lumiverse and Pixel Choice

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
djsky
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

DMX Lumiverse and Pixel Choice

Post by djsky »

When mapping a simple 1-pixel fixture to an artnet output... it seems that the RGB colour choice is specific to one particular pixel underneath it's "Slice"....

For instance, if I have a 1920x1080 composition output, and add a dmx lumiverse output, then a single pixel fixture as slice that covers maybe an area of 100 pixels or more, it seems to choose only the very centre pixel underneath that slice for it's colour choice.

What I would like to do is take an "Average" of ALL the pixels underneath that slice.... for example, if my slice area was on an area of a sandy beach, and there's a small black stone in the centre, I don't want my slice output to be black, I want it to be sandy, like the majority of the rest of the area covered by that slice.

Is this possible?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: DMX Lumiverse and Pixel Choice

Post by Zoltán »

Calculating that average for 1 pixel might not sound really heavy, but for 10- 20 universes of output pixels, that would add up really fast.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Zoltán wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 15:40 Calculating that average for 1 pixel might not sound really heavy, but for 10- 20 universes of output pixels, that would add up really fast.
Yup!

I built a failsafe app for Resolume that would average the pixels and if the average dropped below 10 (showing that the output was off/black) then I would have Resolume trigger another clip. (We where taking a Spout source from Unreal going out to about 33+ million pixels, so if that source dropped off/Unreal crashed. we would then playback a pre-baked render of that server until the server got brought back up).
I down sampled to a 720p comp (About 900,000 pixels) for my averaging and I was luck to get 8fps..... So I then down sampled more to 25 groups of 25 pixels on the comp and that kept me at 60fps. Could only imagine what 20 universes would do (about 10,000 pixels).

djsky
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by djsky »

Zoltán wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 15:40 Calculating that average for 1 pixel might not sound really heavy, but for 10- 20 universes of output pixels, that would add up really fast.
Understood. To be honest, I only want about 4 areas.

So how’s this for a feature request:

What about an effect that acts as an “active” eye-dropper tool that can run on a certain area, then apply the effect on a clip/layer in real time? Such as the colorize function that follows an area, (or even just one pixel)?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

You're going to need some external processing for this.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Or put a blur on your texture?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu