frame rate/fps seems capped at 30

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
firstodd
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

frame rate/fps seems capped at 30

Post by firstodd »

Hey all,

Using latest version of Resolume with a higher end workstation, and for some reason the processing FPS of the compositions seems to be capped at 30fps even if we set it above (it have it at 60 fps).

I've tried changing it back and forth to get it to "take" and bunch of restarts of various things. If we change it to 25 or 20 fps, it takes immediately.

Any ideas what might be causing this limitation?

- W :geek:

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: frame rate/fps seems capped at 30

Post by Arvol »

What is the refresh rate of the connected output device? If multiple devices are connected, what is the lowest frame rate of the connected devices?
Sounds like you need to upp the refresh rate of your hardware, then the GPU and Resolume will follow.

firstodd

Post by firstodd »

I thought the same thing, but all 3 devices connected (two Aato video wall processors and one 1080p monitor for GUI all via HDMI) all say they were running at 60 Hz in the video card settings. It's an HPZ workstation with a AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 card which is supposed to be their equivalent to the Quadro line. Latest Enterprise tested drivers.

We also have an issue where the timing of the signal becomes slightly off, less than frame, but enough to notice the seam in the video wall with some graphics.

Refreshing the the video card and monitor configurations enough times through AMD's settings seems to somehow fix these two issues randomly, until a few days later, it'll come back. :|
Last edited by firstodd on Fri Feb 12, 2021 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Resolume indeed caps the renders fps at the frame rate of your slowest monitor.
The driver could forget a setting, or go into a power save mode, reporting a low refresh rate.
Sounds like a case for AMD support.

If the delay is consistent, you can try to compensate in the Resolume Advanced output, in the other Screen's settings: https://resolume.com/support/en/screens#adjusting-delay
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

firstodd

Post by firstodd »

Thanks Zoltan,

Helpful tips as always.

For some random reason, the system is now running flawlessly and I barely get it to dip below 60/59fps even pushing it hard, and the seam in the video wall panels/processor pairs has resolved itself.

All I did was change bunch of AMD settings on and off again.

Bag of mysteries with these cards, I guess!

For the record the "sync" is not consistent, it was seemingly drifting in and out through the days/weeks of use.

- W :mrgreen: