OSC and Ms Pinky

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Borris_yeltzun
Is taking Resolume on a second date

OSC and Ms Pinky

Post by Borris_yeltzun »

hiya all,

I am having a few issues configuring mspinky osc functionality for use within resolume.

Auto-scale position by file length is selected, and am able to send velocity and position values to avenue/arena but avenue or arena will not play a clip properly, the playhead seems to jump to halfway, to the start or to the end of the clip depending on what values i give to theoffset min or max value fields.

Am using a technics 1210 with m-audio torq vinyl and a NI audio 10 soundcard on windoz 7.

would someone be able to steer me in the right direction? or give me a hint as to what values are required for use with resolume.

has anybody else had any luck getting mspinky to talk to resolume properly on windows ?

cheers.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: OSC and Ms Pinky

Post by Joris »

In order to troubleshoot this, you'd need to what values MsPinky is actually sending.

It sounds like it's only sending relative values (0, 0.5 and 1), but without knowing the actual numbers it's hard to say more.

Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Tschoepler »

I got it running with a friends Ms Pinky. I'll have a look into it once I get my hands on it.
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████

StoryBoy
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by StoryBoy »

Hi,

Also having headaches setting up OSC on MacOSX with Resolume & MsPinky.
MsPinky sends OSC messages fine as I've tested with OSCTestApp.

Setting up OSC in resolume is a nightmare ... :cry:

@Tschoepler
Please any info on how you got it working properly would be much appreciated.

thanks

StoryBoy

Post by StoryBoy »

okay ...

after much mucking about with the incorrect demo beta for v4 arena I downloaded the latest v4
don't use the beta unless you want to pull your hair out.

in mspinky:
i use relative mode

OSC tab
position: scale = 1, offset = 0, min = 0, max = 1.

[X] position prefix (on): /layer1/video/position/values
(controls clip playing in layer1)

[X] autoscale (on)

In resolume I'm mixing an 1920x1080 Apple Intermediate Codec 3 minute video.
I'm using the audio from the same video file rendered as AIFF / Wave in mspinky MAXI PATCH.

Jesus ... it's impressive after all that headache fiddling with the beta. Synch is great. Only problem my side is very very slight stuttering in resolume playbac ... but i'm guess this is the noise in mspinky hardware setup which is not perfect.

gradek
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gradek »

StoryBoy wrote:okay ...
In resolume I'm mixing an 1920x1080 Apple Intermediate Codec 3 minute video.
I'm using the audio from the same video file rendered as AIFF / Wave in mspinky MAXI PATCH.
Very cool. Maybe you can post a video of your results. I'd like to see pinky-resolume video scratching in action.

Perhaps you are getting lag due to the large file an limits on HD seek times. Have you tried encoding the video with DXV codec to let the GPU do the processing?

Also downsizing the clip to 1280x720 might also solve some lag issues, unless the issue is really with the OSC speed/sync. But if you are running both apps on the same machine the lag from communication should be good between apps.
Want to map LED rings with Resolume? Then look no further: https://goo.gl/f2dPGu

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Yes, please post a short video, love to see it. Sorry for the OSC headache in the Beta version. We messed up the checkboxes, i think the OSC out was enabling OSC in and OSC IN was enabling OSC out, something like that. So sorry about that ;-)

StoryBoy

Post by StoryBoy »

Thanks guys. When I get a moment will definitely setup a camera to demo this. It could be quite useful to others as it's taking a while to figure out and a good info is scattered... Right now, I'm just trying to complete some audio-visual music video mixes, ala VJ TACKT style for a TV show. 8-)

@gradek:
So the stuttering is a more a back and forth which comes from Ms Pinky ... there's a slight lag in Pinky (OSC takes a moment to stop) as well as a noise problem with my hardware setup.

There is also a slight lag with the video. So I need to work out delay compensation with audio and video from both apps. The file is HD 1920x1080 because that's the best format I can work with (and the TV Show is being shot & edited in HD). However the composition size is closer to PAL 720x576 cause at full 1080p my MBP clunks.

Now you got me thinking about working at 720p which would be a good compromise :roll: ... just don't want to have to re-render the folder of music videos (again).

I did try the DVX a while back but am using Apple Intermediate because the file size / speed / quality ratio is good for a folder of 30 music videos and it seems use-able inbetween apps (Resolume / Ableton / ms Pinky) w/o too much image quality loss. The video file size for a 3-4 minute video is about 1.4GB.

High image quality is quite important for what I'm trying to achieve here. Also re: HDD speeds, I'm testing with a FW800 5400rpm GDrive until the 7200rpm one gets back.

@edwin:
thanks, i still have some hair left ;)
there i was wondering why OSCTestApp wasn't working when actually I should have checked the new version earlier.

So still streamlining the process. And what a process it's been.
Next step is to see how to record audio from MsPinky and video from Resolume in sync. Also this could probably also work with 2 layers and 2 turntables.

Okay back to the lab for now.

gradek
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gradek »

@storyboy,

are you working with Ms. Pinky Maxi Patch application or the MAX/MSP/MAX for live patch? I wonder if there is a difference in OSC lag. It might also be the quality of the read from the vinyl. If you said there is a noise issue. They suggest a few needle on their website for the job.

I wonder if working in Ableton Live and resolute might be a better setup for audio video sync issues. You can use the max for live or the vst plugin to achive that. Not sure how you would rout the OSC command to resolume however. Might need the stand alone max patch for that. Also a 5400 speed drive is very slow! I'd go with RAID or SSD for HD video scratching.
Want to map LED rings with Resolume? Then look no further: https://goo.gl/f2dPGu

StoryBoy

Post by StoryBoy »

gradek wrote:@storyboy,
I wonder if working in Ableton Live and resolute might be a better setup for audio video sync issues. You can use the max for live or the vst plugin to achive that. Not sure how you would rout the OSC command to resolume however. Might need the stand alone max patch for that. Also a 5400 speed drive is very slow! I'd go with RAID or SSD for HD video scratching.
After all these years working with video, sometimes limitations hardware or otherwise bring up some of the best creative solutions. However I'm banging my head against a wall... In the week since I got Ms Pinky I've modified the M4L patch to send OSC but it's not working quite as expected with the output values. As I understand I need to scale the values (0...65535) to between 0.00 - 1 to work with Resolume. It's been a headache as I have limited max/msp knowledge.

So to get videoscratch recording to work I'm using the Maxipatch as master:
MaxiPatch OSC OUT --> Resolume video-playback head / recording deck
(disabled global fx, and single layer PAL 720x576 Composition)
MaxiPatch audioOUT --> Ableton (using FA66 soundcard) records audio / provides metronome

A single midi note turns recording on in both apps. The macbook pro laptop strains ... and I've got some editing to do to sync visual / audio in post-production but it works. Even if clumsy for now...