I found this free program to transmit midi over a lan connection called EthernetMidi
Here's a guide to how to set it up.
- 2 PC's (1 Audio, 1 Visual)
- 1 Crossover Cable (Or regular ethernet connection via router) [not sure if this works with wireless, presume it's possible]
- Ableton (or other midi sequencer)
- EthernetMidi - http://www.linuxsampler.org/ethernetmidi/
- MidiYoke http://www.midiox.com/myoke.htm DIRECT DL HERE - http://www.midiox.com/zip/MidiYokeSetup.msi
1. Setup MidiYoke on both computers. This is a virtual midi device which makes virtual midi ports.
2. Setup the network between the 2 computers. For example;
a)Audio PC will have IP - 192.168.0.1
b)Visual PC will have IP - 192.168.0.2
c)Test connection (start, run, CMD, "Ping 192.168.0.1")
3. Run EthernetMidi on both computers. (No install needed)
Set Local MIDI Port forwarded to Ethernet to In From MIDI YOKE:1
Set IP Address to 192.168.0.2
Set Forward Ethernet to Local MIDI Port to Out To MIDI YOKE:2
Set IP Address to 192.168.0.1
c) EthernetMIDI should display something like:
21:33:50 Opened MIDI IN port 0
21:33:50 Opened MIDI OUT port 0
21:33:50 Opened UDP network socket
DO NOT ENABLE FORWARDING IN ANY OTHER WAY THAN WHAT IS STATED ABOVE OR YOU MAY GET CONFLICTS OR INFINITE MIDI LOOPS!!!
You should also disable your firewall or add an exception for EthernetMidi.exe
4. Setup MIDI in Ableton (Preferences, MIDI) enable Output : Out to MIDI YOKE:1 to Track and Remote
5. Setup MIDI in Resolume (Preferences, MIDI) Enable MIDI YOKE:2
6. Route midi in Ableton to send midi to MIDI YOKE 1.
For example you could send midi from a keyboard: MIDI FROM - Keyboard / MIDI TO - Out to MIDI YOKE:1 (Set monitoring to In)
Or you could send midi from another midi channel MIDI FROM - MIDI CHANNEL 1 / MIDI TO Out to MIDI YOKE:1 (Set monitoring to In)
7. See if ethernetmidi is working. Play some midi in ableton and see if the Outgoing MIDI flashes green in ethernetmidi. Also check if Incoming MIDI flashes green on the Visual PC.
8. Start MIDI Mapping in Resolume.
9. Play midi and clips in time! (Increase Master track delay in ableton till it's in sync) [I had 20 to 50 ms]
Note: for some reason sending Midi Clock (Sync) data does not work. I think this is a bug in ethernetmidi. PLEASE let me know if you can get sync working.
Do NOT post here if you have problems running this on Vista. I can work, but i have no interest in troubleshooting your vista problems. I just spent an entire weekend wrestling with Vista. Simple solution: Dual Boot with XP (XP ran MUCH MUCH faster in my tests, and with no glitches)
Best of luck!