Is Resolume supporting HEVC (H.265)?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
vjgalaxy
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Is Resolume supporting HEVC (H.265)?

Post by vjgalaxy »

Is Resolume supporting HEVC (H.265)? Thank you.
Alejandro Piñero Amerio
Video Design | Media Production

https://vjgalaxy.com

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Is Resolume supporting HEVC (H.265)?

Post by Joris »

Theoretically, Resolume can play back everything that Quicktime 7 can play back.

How well the performance and stability is when VJ'ing with such a highly compressed temporal codec not meant for VJ'ing, is something only you can determine.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

In my opinion, the best to know if Resolume "supports" a codec such as H.265 is to test it in show conditions.

You will find a lot of posts on codec in this forum but each and everyone of them will point you in the same direction, use DXV3 whenever possible. So unless you're given content at the very last minute and don't time to encode your media or you're using a very limited amount of clips and effect in a particular deck, the recommendation is to use DXV3 for all your media even your stills so that you can be sure to get the best possible results.

The underlaying question is why you would want to use a codec such as HEVC which is a highly compressed codec designed for transmission over the internet.

Warspite
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Warspite »

If you need to play anything not supported by Resolume, route another player (VLC, GrandVJ etc) via Syphon into Resolume. This way you need zero time to recode, also i found this configuration pretty stable, i had far more problems recoding video in last minute and droping it into resolume.
If you are limited on SSD storage for you footage, do not loose you time recoding everything into this new codecs and recode again back to DXV when you see that you can not play more than two or three layers. Just buy more external ssd storage - price is dropping quite fast.
Also quicktime is dying because Apple dropped for Windows platform development. Right now I cannot encode quicktime h264 because it stopped encoding past 16 thread (current xeon has 24). Just wander what suprises are hidden for h265.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Warspite wrote:If you need to play anything not supported by Resolume, route another player (VLC, GrandVJ etc) via Syphon into Resolume. This way you need zero time to recode, also i found this configuration pretty stable, i had far more problems recoding video in last minute and droping it into resolume.
If you are limited on SSD storage for you footage, do not loose you time recoding everything into this new codecs and recode again back to DXV when you see that you can not play more than two or three layers. Just buy more external ssd storage - price is dropping quite fast.
Also quicktime is dying because Apple dropped for Windows platform development. Right now I cannot encode quicktime h264 because it stopped encoding past 16 thread (current xeon has 24). Just wander what suprises are hidden for h265.
Have done this many times when an artist like to play the "let's give the vj my 20gb of content, 7 min before my set" game. VLC and NDI are a lifesaver!