Beginner Advice needed

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Hamdi
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Beginner Advice needed

Post by Hamdi »

Hello guys,

Im a beginner vj willing to use resolume as the main software and i have some questions i would more thank thankful if u reply to it, thanks in advance

Whats is better Mac or pc laptops (Asus Rog or Macbook pro) to be specific??
How can i get more than one ouput from the same laptop??
What is the best midi controller to use with resolume

Thanks in advance,
Cheers

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Beginner Advice needed

Post by Oaktown »

If you get a Macbook Pro, you'll need one with a discrete GPU which in the US is $2,500 and if you upgrade the processor as you should, you're in for an extra $200 and to get a 1TB SSD that's an extra $500, so you're rapidly in for $3,200. At that price point, I would think an ASUS Rog would give you best bang for your buck especially if you can get one with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB GDDR5 like the Rog G751JY especially since it has a Thunderbolt port.

Regarding your question about multiple displays, the Macbook Pro has on HDMI and two displayport outputs so you can 3 outputs right out of the box. The Rog will make use of their ASUS Trinity Display technology to give you 3 outputs as well but I believe the GTX 980X with 4GB on the Rog will perform better that the MD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB.

4eyes
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by 4eyes »

My advice? Get a PC and never look back. :D I like Sager notebooks personally.

The newest ones with the 980m can do three outputs. I believe they have one hdmi and two displayport connections.

Controller? There is not "best", it really comes down to personal preference and how you use resolume. That said, the APC40 is a great controller that gives you lots of versatility. The MK1 is the best bang for your buck if you're ok with the size, and the MK2 is smaller and doesn't require an external power supply.

I personally use a Livid Alias8, it's small but I find it is all I really need most of the time.

Cheers.

shamanicape

Post by shamanicape »

Laptop: If you are not already balls deep into the Apple ecosystem & want the highest performance for your money, go with a PC. If you are already a Mac user and love OSX, I'd say, stay with what you know.

Controller: There are many sweet options out there but for someone just starting out I highly recommend the Korg nanoKontrol. It looks minimalist, but it is cheap & super easy to program (I am yet to find better midi controller editor software than this) . I've been using Resolume for 3 years now & it is still one of my favorite controllers for Arena. I think once you've gained some experience, talked to others about their controllers, and found limitations in the Korg, then jump to something more pricey.

Good luck!
"The gestalt of our era is that of grand absurdity and sophisticated madness"
ShamanicApe.com

d1egosan

Post by d1egosan »

4eyes wrote:My advice? Get a PC and never look back. :D I like Sager notebooks personally.

The newest ones with the 980m can do three outputs. I believe they have one hdmi and two displayport connections.

Controller? There is not "best", it really comes down to personal preference and how you use resolume. That said, the APC40 is a great controller that gives you lots of versatility. The MK1 is the best bang for your buck if you're ok with the size, and the MK2 is smaller and doesn't require an external power supply.

I personally use a Livid Alias8, it's small but I find it is all I really need most of the time.

Cheers.
Hi 4eyes,

I am a new to resolume and have been looking in the forum for posts about using the Alias8 with it. I noticed you mentioned the Alias8 here and would like to ask you if you could please share your mapping set up. I would really like to use this controller with resolume so I appreciate your insight on this.

Thanks!

Cheers