Suggestions

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
DHoude
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Suggestions

Post by DHoude »

So I am just getting started in this VJ world. I have some Adobe Graphics & Design experience over the last couple years. I was asked by a DJ friend who also uses Resolume to help achieve an idea that he has seen. I want to help make the lines in this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1F0kt3 ... e=youtu.be chase the edge of his boxes.

I am mostly asking where would I go to start making this content. I have just not created sooth motion video yet. To further that, not sure how I would chase the lines exactly on the shapes. The closest I have come is to take a picture of his layout. Draw the colored lines on another layer. Hide everything and slowly reveal the lines in some sort of pattern. I have not figured that part out yet. I am pretty sure I can do that in After Effects with enough digging. Any ideas on a better / more efficient approach?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Sadler

Re: Suggestions

Post by Sadler »

This product seems to be in limbo after its kickstarter.
phpBB [video]

If you're au fait with AE this vid is quite interesting
phpBB [video]

Arena has quite sophisticated mapping support. Would like to see a tutorial video for the latest version.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

I think I can get the Arena mapping and slices. I did like how that other tool seemed to have an "Edge detect" of the slices with lines that stated chasing. Ultimately that is close to what I was looking to do, except their lines seemed to stay within each slice. It would be great to have them trace a path along the edges and not limited to one slice. Almost like a wet noodle slithering down the edges.

So mostly this was a "How do I create some content for a 3D surface?" type of question. I have actually never met (accept online) the other DJ. I just have made some things for DJs on that forum and he asked about this. It started my curiosity of Resolume about 1 year ago. I guess what I am saying is we are no where near each other, so that will make it more difficult.

I may need to explore some kind of edge detect type of effect, but for slices. I know there is one for clips..

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The main problem with mapping projects is no longer getting the warping and the position of the objects. Apps like Arena, Madmapper, Heavy-M and by now dozens of others have made this obscenely easy. It's basically just a matter of digitally tracing the physical objects. It's precise work that requires a lot of attention, but it's not exactly rocket science.

The real challenge now has become how to make a visually interesting show with that information. Madmapper has the Lines object, but otherwise completely leaves the content part to other software. Heavy-M has some very cool generative options, but lacks extensive controls for regular clip playback.

At Resolume, we've had requests for 'slice effects' and slice blend modes as well requests for different options for control of slices (DMX, Midi, OSC), that would allow you more performance control in your mapping. We understand how cool it would be to have all this, but we don't really like the direction it takes. A large part of performance control would be moved away from something which is exactly designed for performance control: the main interface.

Instead, the direction we'd like to take is towards the importance of an input map. An input map is an idealised representation of your mapping object or your stage. It lets you decide which part of your composition goes where in your output. In the case of the example video, it would be a set of larger and smaller regular straight rectangle slices, that roughly take up the same place in the input map as they do in the physical object. Basically it's a crude 2d model of your object. We added a new chapter in the manual on creating input maps. In the second video that Sadler links to, the 'animate comp' that they talk about is exactly the same concept as our input map.

You would use the output mapping to align this idealised input map to the actual object and adjust for any distortions caused by the projector angle. You know, the boring bit that we all know how to do by now.

Back on the input side, you would do the creating and mixing the performance in the place designed for this, the composition.

Generative outline animations could be created by dragging Slice Effects from the Sources tab to the clip grid. These would take their data from the input map and would do different things from simple edge outlines to more complex generative content a la Heavy-M. By making these clips instead of applying them straight on slices, you keep all the extra goodness that you get from being able to switch between them, map them to midi, sequence them with the autopilot, apply transitions and even additional regular effects.

You would position abstract stock content exactly in the same place in the composition as one or more of your input map slices have in the input map. This way, that content would only play on certain objects without the need for masking or layer to slice routing. The plugin Chaser already does this. It makes this ridiculously easy by reading in the input map data for you and placing your content in the correct position.

And if you are a creative mind like DHoude, who would like to make something custom like "a wet noodle slithering down the edges", you can take the input map into After Effects or your 3d software and create custom content for it. Inputs from Syphon or other generative sources can be tailored to the input map the same way.

By making the input map the guide for all of these different workflows, you make sure that you can mix and match everything easily and intuitively, in the place designed for mixing: the composition. And that makes the difference between having fun at a show, or making a show into a technical challenge of trying to string as many apps together as possible.

Of course this is all future think and absolutely no help to you now. I thought it might be a good opportunity to talk about where things are heading.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

I can see where that would be a better approach. That approach should also get rid of what I referred to as "Slice constraints" where your effect is bound to 1 slice.

Mostly I am trying to learn better ways to do things. With the ultimate goal of less prerendering and more Live effects that I can evolve. I have allot of footage, now I just need to make it dance and fit together. You guys are a real creative bunch and I love it! Thanks for the help.

I hope to get some good photos of my first VJ gig up asap, once it happens that is on NYE. Super excited and been working on the set for a long time.

Godzil

Post by Godzil »

Any ideas when Resolume will be able to create these chasing lines, like in the first video from 2010?
Last edited by Godzil on Tue Nov 09, 2021 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

You need to get your mapping file then export as svg then import into AE and animate start and end point using saber.

Wire should be able to do this in the future when there is more GPU to CPU communication.

Godzil

Post by Godzil »

why it couldn't be part of R's features, without intervention of other software?
i'd pay for that source.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

That's the point of Wire.... It's not apart of another software. You use Wire to create sources and FX for Arena/Avenue. ;)

Godzil

Post by Godzil »

Arvol wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 18:10 That's the point of Wire.... It's not apart of another software. You use Wire to create sources and FX for Arena/Avenue. ;)
okay so why no one is creating chasing lines source in Wire or whatever? that would be in great request because its must-have tool for mapping. chasing lines should be essential part of Resolume.