automatic playback of columns?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
dukebox
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

automatic playback of columns?

Post by dukebox »

I have 3 layers assigned to 3 projectors. They are edge blended. Now I want to play 8 videos (each sliced into 3 parts (layers)) randomly without me controlling it.
Is that possible?
If not, how else can I have 3 projectors displaying different areas of videos but still be able to autopilot (play randomly)?
PS. Yes, I'll need to do geometric correction in Resolume for each projector.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: automatic playback of columns?

Post by Oaktown »

Are you wanting to play the 3 parts of each video at the same time always or are you OK with having parts of different videos playing together?

Why do you have your videos broken down into three layers? Wouldn't it be easier to use three screen with one slice each in the advanced output?

dukebox

Post by dukebox »

I want the videos of the same column being played at the same time, never videos from different columns.

As to why have the same videos on each column instead of one slice dublicated and respositioned/offseted 3 times in the output, well because not all videos on each column are the same, some columns have a different video for each projector.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

dukebox wrote:I want the videos of the same column being played at the same time, never videos from different columns.
... some columns have a different video for each projector.
the simplest way would be to render the column videos to one video and play those in one layer.
you would set up a 3x wide composition for example and have a 3x wide clip with the 3 videos, then you can auto pilot that.
then the 3 projectors slices would get the input from left, center and right part of the composition.

one other way would be to set up 3 IRclipsSA effect and one IRoscSA effect like this:
phpBB [video]

but if you have long videos this would not work good.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

dukebox

Post by dukebox »

Hm okay. Odd that Reolume does not have an option for that but fine. Is there at least a way to move to the next column when a video in one column has finished playing?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

dukebox wrote:Hm okay. Odd that Reolume does not have an option for that but fine. Is there at least a way to move to the next column when a video in one column has finished playing?
Not natively.
This program has column automation on clip end, and I added random launch to the next release, which I am testing now.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Dukebox wrote:Hm okay. Odd that Reolume does not have an option for that but fine. Is there at least a way to move to the next column when a video in one column has finished playing?
What would be the trigger to change columns?

Is it when the shortest video in the column has reached its end?

Any chance you could send us a video of your deck?

dukebox

Post by dukebox »

Oaktown wrote:Is it when the shortest video in the column has reached its end?
Yes. Ideally there would be few options to choose from:
1) move to next column when shortest video has finished playing
2) move to the next column when longest videos has finished playing (shorter ones will either display nothing then or loop)
3) move to next column when shortest video has looped <user input> amount of times
4) move to next column when longest video has looped <user input> amount of times
5) move to the next column after <user input> seconds, regardless of the video lengths (if they are shorter, they will either display nothing then or loop)

Finally if there was an option to have a random column playing next instead of the next in the list that would be everything I wanted.
Any chance you could send us a video of your deck?
I only have some raw videos atm.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

so if you have something like this in mind: v1.95 is up
(does 1,2 and 5 you mentioned)
phpBB [video]

edit:
thinking of it, you can do 3,4 too with Controller if you set the clips to bpm sync and set the automation to the (number of beats)*(loop nuber) beats, for example
you have a clip 4 beats long, and you want to loop it 3 times then advance to the next scene by setting the layer 1 clip name to @A12b@ (autolaunch in 12 beats)
Attachments
randomtest.avc
(54.84 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
Last edited by Zoltán on Wed Feb 24, 2016 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

To add to Ravensc's response.
1) move to next column when shortest video has finished playing
You can also do that natively by adjusting the length of the longer clips to match the shortest clip in the column and set all clips to [Auto Pilot > Play Next Clip]
3) move to next column when shortest video has looped <user input> amount of times
4) move to next column when longest video has looped <user input> amount of times
You will able to do that using OSC messages and Vezer's upcoming version (still in beta) with loopable cues (N times) but you will need to know which clip is the longest or which clip is the shortest.