From scraps to professional. (SOS!)

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
wie_wie
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

From scraps to professional. (SOS!)

Post by wie_wie »

Hey guys and happy new year to everybody(kinda late but whatever).
I have couple of questions(might not be arena related). Right now i just got bumped up to head of Video/Led departemant, in one of big concert halls in our region. I'm specilized in IT, but they moved me here because of certain issues with video. We have Media server Coolux Pandoras box, some video processors RGB link VSP 628pro and NOVA sending cards.
I want to be ready for the gigs this summer. I have some prior experiences and have done some gigs(nothing complicated though, haven't done anything timecode related as well), but i feel like i'm missing out a lot of things and now i have opportunity to pay and learn everything that i need from scraps. because in a big GIG i'm sure if something goes wrong ... well you know). I had some problems with datapath x4 as well, but it's not the hardware config that was wrong, but my perception of video processing, refresh rate-resolution etc... So could you advice to me any courses held anywhere on the planet, huge thanks in advance

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: From scraps to professional. (SOS!)

Post by Arvol »

I came from a 12 year background in network administration with a side hobby of post production editing. Got thrown into live production (hippos, novastar, and datapath). The guy who was suppose to train me quit the day I started.

I'm a hands on learner so I just jumped into it and taught myself. There are a lot of good resources online. Personally, I always tell people "Never invest money in educational courses for live production". It's a rough industry and spits out about 70% of the people I've worked with over the years.

Find a person who's been doing it for 5+ years and job shadow. Buy them drinks and dinner occasionally and pick their brain. Get your hands dirty and learn your hardware in and out, and always expand your software knowledge.

If you need help, DM me for my email and I can try to help out in regards to hardware. Design, Mapping, system integration. I do a lot of festivals and tours, so I feel i have a pretty good grip on that aspect of the industry.

In regards to running shows, everyone has a different workflow, and I challenge you to learn yours.

There are a lot of hardware options out there for different budget. It's all about knowing your needs and buying gear that fits it, with room for growth, And not overspending on features you won't need.

It's a fun, frustrating, and sometimes stressful industry. Enjoy the journey, and welcome. :)

wie_wie
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by wie_wie »

Thanks for response. My problem is none in my country i'd say is qualified enough to become a shadow of... I'd rather do some real live gigs outside of my country, main thing is i need real life experience with some difficult projects. i worked on many gigs as well but i'd say i'm not using any potential there... So if you could advice any place I can do as an intern or something like that for a couple of month's i'd appriciate it.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

wie_wie wrote:Thanks for response. My problem is none in my country i'd say is qualified enough to become a shadow of... I'd rather do some real live gigs outside of my country, main thing is i need real life experience with some difficult projects. i worked on many gigs as well but i'd say i'm not using any potential there... So if you could advice any place I can do as an intern or something like that for a couple of month's i'd appriciate it.
Where do you hail from? There are plenty of cool gigs all over this globe.

chenthemagician
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by chenthemagician »

I second what Arvol has said, been doing it for roughly 15-18 years depending on when you classify yourself as pro, but read read read and do more reading, every hardware every software read the manual, read the support groups/forums, social media is a big plus now follow people online and see the gigs they do, analyse it and think how you do it, and practice with what you have...i have had quite a few jobs when i was given hardware to use, and thrown in the fire and I downloaded the manual before the show, and read it 3-5 times, and it has helped every time....projectors, controllers, you can't go wrong reading....

Gigs are always happening, as he said before, just reach and see if you can be a part of it, all they can do is say no. :D

And yeah where in this world are you?
HP Omen
8 GB RAM
i7 7th gen 2.8 GHz
Win 10 Home
Nvidia 1050 GTX

Asus G751J - 860M
i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

Livid OHM RGB Controller

Creating Solutions, Tailored to your needs!

Repping from the 876 - Jamaica "Out of Many, One People"

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

chenthemagician wrote:I second what Arvol has said, been doing it for roughly 15-18 years depending on when you classify yourself as pro, but read read read and do more reading, every hardware every software read the manual, read the support groups/forums, social media is a big plus now follow people online and see the gigs they do, analyse it and think how you do it, and practice with what you have...i have had quite a few jobs when i was given hardware to use, and thrown in the fire and I downloaded the manual before the show, and read it 3-5 times, and it has helped every time....projectors, controllers, you can't go wrong reading....

Gigs are always happening, as he said before, just reach and see if you can be a part of it, all they can do is say no. :D

And yeah where in this world are you?
Yas!!! :)
Always read and expand the ol' cranium.

On a side note from being a TM and now a person working with hiring for a Production Company. An "Always Positive" attitude and good work ethic will get you farther in my books than the knowledge and skill to pull it off.
You can always teach hardware and software, but work ethic and "taking initiative" and a positive attitude will keep you in this industry.

chenthemagician
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by chenthemagician »

Arvol wrote:
Yas!!! :)
Always read and expand the ol' cranium.

On a side note from being a TM and now a person working with hiring for a Production Company. An "Always Positive" attitude and good work ethic will get you farther in my books than the knowledge and skill to pull it off.
You can always teach hardware and software, but work ethic and "taking initiative" and a positive attitude will keep you in this industry.

LOL all the time...That is true....always be positive, courteous....in other words, don't be a prick, don't be a know it all, ask questions for sure, but don't try to be making yourself "look" smart....it never works...Arvol check you PM.
HP Omen
8 GB RAM
i7 7th gen 2.8 GHz
Win 10 Home
Nvidia 1050 GTX

Asus G751J - 860M
i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

Livid OHM RGB Controller

Creating Solutions, Tailored to your needs!

Repping from the 876 - Jamaica "Out of Many, One People"