Why did Resolume have to change?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
vjtk
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Why did Resolume have to change?

Post by vjtk »

Is it just me?

I love the idea of updating the software to utilize the newest hardware, but did they have to change the entire interface AND the workflow? I've spent a long time learning how to perform with Resolume (albeit at home most of the time) and now have to learn a totally new way of doing it AGAIN. It's a pity IMO... :(
Mac Pro 8-Core 2.8 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 3870 512MB GDDR4, Leopard 10.5.5
Lenovo Thinkpad W500, T9400 2.53Ghz, 4GB RAM, ATI V500 FireGL 512MB, Windows 7 Pro

trilion99

Re: Why did Resolume have to change?

Post by trilion99 »

Exactly my opinion too. No complaints about the new version. It is great software, but really the workflow is totally different, not as spontaneous as in Resolume 2. Had a gig yesterday with one computer running resolume 2 and the other one running resolume 3. I really think that on the long run the will be no way around writing a new version of resolume 2. Avenue is just two different. For me it is not so much about learning the new software it is more that the style of working with resolume 2 suits me perfectly. It is a pity if this genius piece of work is discontinued.
However this is for sure really tough for the developers that have invested a lot of time in designing the new interface. But also they have to consider their responsibility to the users of resolume 2. Normally when I buy a software like this I consider that I will be able to work with it in a similar way for the continuing versions.
So dear developers, after you resolved the issues about the Avenue release (which will take some time I guess), please write a new version of resolume 2 with the new software engine. After all it is not too hard because all you have to do is change the interface..

vjtk

Post by vjtk »

We are in total agreement. I wish they'd release a new version of Resolume 2 utilizing all the new hardware upgrades out there (GPU utilization, processor advancements, etc), but with the same OLD interface with new tweaks and advancements - and even a new look with the same format and workflow. They should do away with the audio functionality of the reworked Resolume 2, and leave that niche to Avenue. Your comment about expecting software updates to be based on the original version is SO TRUE. If Final Cut Pro users had to change their workflow that has taken years of editing experience to learn with a new totally different workflow and a different interface to learn, the changes in that workflow and interface better be UNIVERSALLY accepted by the users, otherwise it is putting a real shaft to the users and their time. I mean, seriously, has Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, After Effects, or Illustrator workflows ever changed since version 1? The answer it no. The advancements have all been build on the original workflow AND interface.
Lenovo Thinkpad W500, T9400 2.53Ghz, 4GB RAM, ATI V500 FireGL 512MB, Windows 7 Pro

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

The interface had to change to accommodate all the new features like unlimited effects on the clips, layers and global, all the compositing parameters like width, height, rotation etc. the preview monitor and audio playback.

Resolume 3 allows you to work much more precise but also as flexible as Resolume 2 when you setup the Clip Target to Active Layer in the composition menu.

Last week we worked on the midi and keyboard mapping so it's configurable to make it work more like Resolume 2. We will releasing this in a new beta asap. We will also be adding transport controls on the layers just like Resolume 2 so Resolume 3 will start to feel more like home in the future ;-)

trilion99

Post by trilion99 »

Hmm, I know what Im gonna do! I am gonna get a Lemur, design a copy of the resolume 2 interface on it and then map all the controllers to the corresponding ones in Avenue :)

I mean it is true, if you integrate the MIDI controlability down to more or less every control in the application, you make the interface quasi-scriptable. That might be were you eventually end up anyway. The Resolume Interface Design Kit (RIDK).

Anyway, for sure the engine rules!

vjtk

Post by vjtk »

well done, Bart. I can understand the reasons for changing the interface. They are just quite drastic. I think with some time my attitude will become better;)

I didn't realize the trick with Clip Target to Active Layer. Nice. I am beginning to understand your logic more and more. Does the manual line this out. I never noticed.

Glad to hear about playback controls on layers! Keep up the great work.