Advanced layer routing

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Advanced layer routing

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

I'd like to see the layer router embedded in each layer control, with ability to turn it on/off.
When it is turned on you would be able to control the incoming video input as well any slices it is connected to in advanced output.

If Layer 6 has text and is routed to a single slice on 4 different screens, I would like to be able to turn the slice off on the layer side, instead of opening advanced output to turn it off.
Attachments
layer-routing.png

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Advanced layer routing

Post by Zoltán »

+1
and please make the slices follow the layer when inserting and moving layers.

ability to send multiple layers to a slice (like a subgroup of layers)
this would be good, for overlaying something(s) over a video.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

hookerbot
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by hookerbot »

+1
I would also use this

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Yes, this would be a very good feature to have.

We'd like to discourage people as much as possible from using the Advanced Output window in a live situation. It should be used to set up before show, or to touch up minor mistakes during performance. It should not be used as a performance tool.

So adding some way to control the opacity of slices ( or groups of slices ) at the composition level is a very good approach.

To be completely clear on this particular use case, why would simply fading out Layer 6 not work in this case?

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

Having to put text on 1 screen, not all screen at once.
I have several LED that I send content to.

LED1. 1408x540 "dj"
LED2. 1728x480 "outdoor"
LED3. 384x288 (3 "columns" of 128x288)
LED4. 128x576 "pool dj"

Layer 1-5 : Main composition mixing
Layer 6 : Dedicated text layer for main composition
Layer 7-9 : LED3 "Column" routing
Layer 10 : Text layer for columns
Layer 11-13 : Different routing options for LED2
layer 14 : Text layer for "outdoor"

Because the LEDs are all different sizes/ratios I have different flash text clips for different formatting.
It would be much easier to route this from 1 layer and turn off the screen I don't want the text on. Instead I have to scroll up and down to get to the correct layer (not a huge deal).

This behavior, would break the functionality of being able to transition between layer router and another clip (like a camera).

I will try and make a tutorial or something about my setup (with lots of pictures and arrows). I know it's difficult to follow, I have a hard time trying to train someone on how to properly run everything.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

it's difficult to follow, I have a hard time trying to train someone on how to properly run everything.
Which is all the more reason we need to work more on making it more accessible and intuitive ;) Glad you're always providing feedback which will help us do that.

hive8

Post by hive8 »

Yes i like this, instead of calling it route to layer, call it rout to slice. So you be able to select your slices as output (same as you would select your input layer routing). Then you be able to stack them as well in the effects cue. Plus have all the normal parameters on the effect like, Transform, Rotate, Scale X Y, Anchor Point X Y, cropping would already happen since the slice has its size in the advanced output. Just my 2 cents.
HIVE 8 | Quantum Laser | http://www.hive8.com

HardReturn
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by HardReturn »

+1

Joris

Post by Joris »

We won't be adding features to layer to slice routing anytime soon.

If you have a use case not covered by the Slice Transform introduced in Res 6, we'd love to hear about them in a new thread.