Thumbnail Preview Off Option

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
najrock
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Thumbnail Preview Off Option

Post by najrock »

the ability to toggle thumbnail preview seems like something that could aid in keeping resolume stable when working with large numbers of clips in one deck.

example:

Programming an entire 2 hour set into one deck where there are many more than 60 clips.

as I understand it the thumbnails loading into ram for preview are what cause instability with high clip volume...

if these were off, would you then be able to put as many clips into a deck as you would like worry free and work with out the previews at high clip volumes?

correct me if I have misunderstood this...

Thanks!

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Re: Thumbnail Preview Off Option

Post by cosmowe »

Hi najrock,
if you mean those little tiny thumbnails inside the clipdeck....they don't affect the performance in any notable way at all. The amount of clips in a clip-deck is that what matters.
If you have 100 clips in your clip-deck it eats almost the same performance like 100 opened QT-Players on your desktop.

Like you I am working with only one huge clipdeck. My clipdeck is filled with 800 Clips on 5 layers (50% of the clips are duplicated). If I would add 50 more clips... Resolume would crash or would not be able to save any more.

But for sure... that's not the way the guys of Resolume recommend using their software.
Joris had already told me that its almost a miracle that I can run stable shows with such a huge clipdeck. But....with my hardware/software ..ect. configuration for me it is possible to run without any crashes.

Why am I doing this? Because switching clipsdecks takes to long...

//
- How many clips are in your deck?
- Pc/Mac?
- Installed Hardware?
- only DXV?

Greetings
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

najrock
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by najrock »

I am looking to put over 1000 clips in a deck

workstation class PC Laptop with a quadro 5000 2 ssd's and 32 gb ram

Only DXV video but also some PNG files

Thanks!

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Hi Najrock,
I'm sorry to say it...but you will have no luck with 1000 different clips in one clipdeck.

The only way it eventually might work is if you only set-up 1 or 2 layers for your 1000 DXV Clips and you have to convert all your PNG's to 1 frame DXV Movies.

Resolume is still a 32Bit application so your 32Gb Ram will not have any positive effect to your plan.
As I wrote before...my actual stable deck consists out of 400 different dxv clips on 5 layers and if I would add 50 more Resolume would get unstable.

You have to make your own tests with your system....

Greetings
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar