auto Bpm, StepSequencer, Preset and Paging

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
vjcrux
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

auto Bpm, StepSequencer, Preset and Paging

Post by vjcrux »

dear Resolume developers,
I'm trying to choose between your Arena and VDMX5 for future jobs with osx 10.10 with about 1000 clips (mostly in quartz composer).
In my tests, Arena has better design, shows a better stability with quartz composer and responsive switching between clips, but lacking of many useful features that vdmx own:
-auto BPM detect (wavesum). Wonderful!
-BPM'ed Lfo, Step Sequencer and various beat solutions. Usefuuul !
-Presets saving and Clips paging for quick organization and logical visual performing. Mandatory having hundreds of clips and impossible to manage with Arena, caused by its extreme slowness in deck/compositions switching!
Do you think to work soon in this direction?
Don't be afraid to ketch "inspirations" from your competitors!
I'd like to remain with Arena if you are affirmative.
Thanks for your honest reply.

najrock
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: auto Bpm, StepSequencer, Preset and Paging

Post by najrock »

why dont you just use them together and take advantage of the great parts of both

i have vdmx's step sequencer and audio analysis modules sending information over ethernet to my arena computer accomplishing the same tasks as they would in vdmx...

arena's clip launching and bpm sync is much smoother than vdmx in my opinion and it is such a simple program that integrating it with other softwares is easy...

also some food for thought... the standalone software version of wavesum (wavetick, waveclock) http://www.wavesum.net/

actually is programmed differently (and works better IMO) than the one integrated with vdmx

there is also a studio version which has lfo and step edit modules with presets

vjcrux

Post by vjcrux »

thanks a lot najrock.
Great workarounds for reaching some goals, but I don't think that its a good idea working in clubs or disco with more than one notebook or strange alchemical house of cards, always ready for having problems and time wasting in setup.
I'm trying to stimulate some "basic" features which should interest the developer too.
Competitors are very dynamic, so please hurry up! ;)
bye

najrock
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by najrock »

i have run it all on the same computer before with no problems

once you hit a certain ceiling of sorts there is no "magic bullet" vj software...

you gotta get a cocktail that works for you

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

Encode in DXV, get a good graphics card and an SSD. Your deck loading times will become very fast.

I'd also think that a cue function like a lighting console has would take Resolume to the next level. Yes Vezer and lighting consoles would fill this role but its not integrated into one system.

vjcrux

Post by vjcrux »

Thanks for your support DayVJ.
Unfortunately Vezer is unable to detect BPM, so I'm in the same loop.
Nothing (wavesum and vdmx only) give useful Bpm and beat control for controlling synced visual variations.
I've build a quartz clip based on coge beat detector, (I can share...) that send on OSC bpm info at resolume.
It can keep empirically in time resolume, but I cannot easily send any control common for all clips (eg 1-2-3-4 separate beats or boolean timed toggles)
Anyway I'd really like to know a developer's opinion about future features, even if inspired by other sw.
Respect

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

vjcrux wrote: Anyway I'd really like to know a developer's opinion about future features, even if inspired by other sw.
Respect
Shouldn't you be emailing them directly if you only want their feedback instead of the community?

vjcrux

Post by vjcrux »

You are absolutely right drazkers, but this "new features" area is often replied by resolume developers.
Anyway community's support its a great encourage for finding alternative solution in filling many gaps.
We need both !
:geek:

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

VDMX is an amazing piece of software, and Ray and Dave have made some very cool features indeed.

We'd love to be able to spend time to implement some similar things. We're working on more options for automation, but it's been low priority and nothing's planned to be released in the foreseeable future.

So if you absolutely need these features for your show right now, I'd say that Ray and Dave's work is worth every penny of your support.

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

Check this little piece of software out. I've never used it so I dont know much about it.

http://www.wavesum.net/products.html