Add BPM property & and Resync cue on audioclips

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
TicTaco
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Add BPM property & and Resync cue on audioclips

Post by TicTaco »

Hi,

Since Resolume does not have BPM detection I think it would be useful to add a feature where you could assign a BPM property to an audio clip. Then the BPM clock can start running in the right frequency.

Then it wouldd be nice to add a sync cue on an audio clip. This would do nothing more than hit the reync button internally so the BPM clock starts at beat one.

This way a composition can have audioclips with different BPM rates and effects triggered by BPM wil automatically run at the right speed.

Would this be a feature other people would like to see? (Or am I the only one.... :? )

Regards, Taco

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Add BPM property & and Resync cue on audioclips

Post by Zoltán »

TicTaco wrote:Hi,
Since Resolume does not have BPM detection I think it would be useful to add a feature where you could assign a BPM property to an audio clip.
You allready can do this: setting how any beats is the audio clip, or set the bpm value. or leave auto detect.
http://resolume.com/manual/en/r4/clips#transport
Maybe a button would be useful to match composition bpm to clip bpm.
Then the BPM clock can start running in the right frequency.
+1 for a bpm detector. assignable to the audio FFT source
Then it wouldd be nice to add a sync cue on an audio clip. This would do nothing more than hit the reync button internally so the BPM clock starts at beat one.
if you set the audio clip transport to bpm instead of timeline, and set beat snap in composition menu to anything but none, then the audio clip will sync start to beat.
You can set cue points too already.
This way a composition can have audioclips with different BPM rates and effects triggered by BPM wil automatically run at the right speed.
actually the other way around works fine, first tapping the bpm then setting clip to bpm mode will always sync the clips tempo to the actual tapped value.
I think resolume and vj softwares in general are designed like the music comes first and the vj performs to the music.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

TicTaco
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Add BPM property & and Resync cue on audioclips

Post by TicTaco »

You allready can do this: setting how many beats is the audio clip, or set the bpm value. or leave auto detect.
http://resolume.com/manual/en/r4/clips#transport
Maybe a button would be useful to match composition bpm to clip bpm.
Almost. If Resolume than can auto-tap that button for me, it would be great.
if you set the audio clip transport to bpm instead of timeline, and set beat snap in composition menu to anything but none, then the audio clip will sync start to beat.
You can set cue points too already.
I think I still prefer the manual way in case the detection fails. Especially when the audioclip is in BPM sync mode.

The cue points I mean should be different: they have to sync the BPM clock with the first beat. The same way tapping the resync button does. The difference is that now the program 'taps itself' ;)

By doing it this way - with cue points - it can be possible to have multiple resyncs in an audioclip (which can be useful sometimes).
actually the other way around works fine, first tapping the bpm then setting clip to bpm mode will always sync the clips tempo to the actual tapped value.
Well, actually this way audioclips are set at a rate. That's not my intention is to have the normal timeline - for audio - as a basis.
I think resolume and vj softwares in general are designed like the music comes first and the vj performs to the music.
I agree. My goal is to let the visuals be in sync with the audio. Not the other way around.

I'd like to prepare an entire composition for a show. Launching clips manually without having to worry that the effects or visuals are out of sync. If every audioclip sends the right BPM to the BPM clock en resyncs the first beat - automatically - everything should work fantastic in sync with each other.

Actually I think now the fastest way is the way you pointed out in the beginning [Thumbs up :)]. Just a simple checkbox in the audioclip properties to sync the composition BPM clock with the audio BPM would solve most of the things. So whenever an audioclips starts it wil - if checked - adjust the composition BPM.