Select new thumbnail for clips

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Select new thumbnail for clips

Post by DayVeeJay »

I'd love the ability to select a different frame to use as a thumbnail. Many clips are black at the beginning/end. I have thousands of clips so manually creating new thumbnails by hand (and making sure Resolume doesnt over write them) would be a monstrous project.

Wasn't there talks of this before 3.0 was released?

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Select new thumbnail for clips

Post by He2neg »

Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

I surprised at how little attention this feature request got in the past and this time.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The thumbnails that Resolume generates are not stored in the clip, since this is not something you can do uniformly for every file format on both Windows and Mac. Instead we keep a directory of thumbs in binary format for every clip ever imported to Resolume.

The problem has always been that it's a logistical nightmare to keep track of user defined thumbnails, without drowning the disc in unused thumbs. This is quite a biggie to implement, so it's on the roadmap, but not coming anytime soon.

The reason we don't really respond anymore is that it's been a request since Res 3 and also confirmed as on the to-do list since then. You guys tend to be pretty heavy on feature requests, so we've never found the time to make this a priority. Especially since between preview and custom naming, it's not impossible to run a show without it.

But I guess it's good to give some things a bump and explanation every once in a while. Besides, it's very helpful to think outside the box with the crazy ideas and solutions you guys come up with when we don't stifle the discussion.