smooth random playback

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
offthesky
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

smooth random playback

Post by offthesky »

it would be great if there was an SR button next to the R that would allow timelines to move in a smooth random way. currently it just hard jumps to each frame/timeline position - but would be great if it would glide. if this is already a feature, please let me know how to do this. thanks so much for the lovely app...
17" macbook pro | i7 2.3ghz Quad | 8g 1333MHz DDR3 | 512 SSD | OSX 10.6.8

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: smooth random playback

Post by DayVeeJay »

Do you mean have a transition between the jumps?

Sadler
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Sadler »

In timeline mode the playhead will jump to a random position and display the frame there. If the speed is set low it looks like stop frame - i.e. the playhead doesn't continue until the next random event.

However, in BPM Sync mode the playhead WILL continue to play until the next random event.

I would like to take the opportunity to reiterate my request to improve the current "drunken walk" in favour of a more "apparently random" algorithm for the BPM Sync random mode - sorry to hijack the thread ;)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 16.30.09.png
Current Milestone: Feature Bucket :(

I'll try to push it a bit for Res 5, because I also miss this option from time to time.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Joris, it'd be great if you guys could share the features that made the top 100 of the feature bucket for R5.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I wish we were that organised, Oaktown ;)

In general, we are rewriting pretty much everything, and we try to fit in as much of your current feedback where it applies.

For instance, Tim is currently rewriting parameter animation, so that we can have more and betterder timeline options ( think step sequencer, keyframes :o ). This is also a logical point to try to get in the random playback.

But as always, there's only so many hours in a day. And poor Tim also has to work on the new SMPTE for Res 4.2. So it's hard to make fixed guarantees on what will make it and what will have to be set aside.

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

Sadler wrote:In timeline mode the playhead will jump to a random position and display the frame there. If the speed is set low it looks like stop frame - i.e. the playhead doesn't continue until the next random event.

However, in BPM Sync mode the playhead WILL continue to play until the next random event.
You can do this with Visution's IR ClipSA plugin. Its kind of a pain to setup at first but you'll get quicker at it