Mapamok 3D Projection Mapping Built in

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Jonny50979
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Mapamok 3D Projection Mapping Built in

Post by Jonny50979 »

I do a lot of 3D Mapping and the hardest thing to do when your mobile is to get your real world projector to line up with your virtual camera in apps like Cinema 4d. Mapamok allows you to do this very easy but will only allow you to use the shaders that are built in and you cannot syphon video content from Resolume through it once the mapping is done. If this feature was implemented inside of resolume I think this could solve a lot of complex mapping issues. But hey I am still kind of rookie with this stuff, so I do not know how far fetched my fantasy is.

Thanks for giving it a look though!

https://github.com/YCAMInterlab/ProCamT ... English%29

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Mapamok 3D Projection Mapping Built in

Post by drazkers »

On the windows side you can use Spout into Touch Designer which actually has Mapamok ported over. Certainly is a cool little toolkit, I loved playing with it before it came to Touch.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We've seen Mapamok before and spent an afternoon playing with it. The calibration process and the shaders are amazing, it's a kick ass piece of software.

Since we don't spend that much time doing complex 3D mappings, we're not sure how it would integrate with animations made in 3d apps, or how you would like to be able to play videos from Resolume on it.

If you have any ideas or brainfarts or mad scientist schemes, we'd love to hear them!

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

The standard way when using touch designer is creating a UV Map for a 3d object in Maya(or C4D). I suspect the reason they only allow shaders is because getting video to perfectly fit complex 3d objects without a UV map is really hard.

If you had a separate module that took the advanced output and simply wrapped the texture using the UV coordinates on the 3d object, that could be useful. The advanced output could allow you to ghetto configure a comp to fit a UV map. From there its just simply the built in camera calibration and 3d environment.

Avolites actually has a built in UV map editor in the software that can be helpful for an idea on how to add some very basic functionality.

My real question is, how many people are making complex multi projector mapping? If Jonny50979 is broke he really should be using touchdesigner and spout with resolume. Normally for something like this i suggest Avolites as i'm a big fan of their media servers when it comes to complex 3d objects and you don't wanna mess with touch.

Its a cool idea and certainly puts you further in the media sever category. Being able to chain this with the advanced output could be handy. I know madmapper has been looking at adding 3d for awhile, but who knows what actually is happening.

You can do this with quartz composer and mad mapper right now.