Selecting clip

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
mdifilippo
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Selecting clip

Post by mdifilippo »

I have done a bit of searching and only see some older topics (nothing newer than 2011) so I am hoping this has been resolved :D .

I am looking to build a custom midi controller and my thought is to have 4 rotary encoders in order to pick clips in 4 layers. Basically layer 1 would have one rotary encoder, when I go to a clip it previews it and when I then push down on the rotary encoder (or use a separate "live" button) the clip then goes to the output monitor.

The only other way I can think to select clips would be to have a set amount of buttons to correspond to each one which would greatly increase the number of inputs needed and the size of the controller. Any insight would be fantastic.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Selecting clip

Post by Oaktown »

I think what you're describing would be much easier to accomplish using OSC since you can use the $ mark to change values.

So you could use /layer1/clip$/connect or /layer1/clip$/preview and change the value of $ to trigger or preview the clip you want.

mdifilippo

Post by mdifilippo »

I appreciate the response Oaktown. I'm not sure what you mean though by using $ to change values.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

When you use $ in the syntax, it will take the value following the command.

For instance, /layer1/clip$/connect 4 would be equivalent to /layer1/clip4/connect 1 but I don't know that the $ feature is available with all OSC software.

You could also use the layer focus in MIDI which would mean you'd set buttons to put layer 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.. in focus and then you'd select preview or trigger for clips 1, 2, 3, .... N. That way you'd only need one button to preview clip 1 and one to trigger clip 1 etc...

mdifilippo

Post by mdifilippo »

Thanks for the help. Couldn't seem to get the OSC to work but am focusing on midi more anyway. My new thought is to a have a 4x8 button pad setup (4 layers, 8 clips in each layer). With a modifier button that changes the channel of the 4x8 buttons so first they are previewing the clip and when the channel of the buttons are changed they are played live. Is this like what you were talking about with the midi focus?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I'm talking about is Layer vs Deck focus when you map your midi controller.

If you choose Layer focus, you would assign 4 buttons to select one of your 4 layers and then all you have to do is one row of 8 buttons for connect and 1 row of 8 buttons for preview.

That you would select the active layer and then the 1st button of the connect row would always trigger the 1st clip of the active layer and the 4th button of the preview row would always preview the 4th clip of the active layer and so on and so forth.