Magnifying Glass in Output Transformation Window

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
resolumeuer1962
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Magnifying Glass in Output Transformation Window

Post by resolumeuer1962 »

I miss a Magnifying Glass Function in the Output Transformation Window. It makes sense, cause for Projection Mapping on smaller surfaces (for example a multi-storey wedding cake inner another bigger scene) it is not possible, to create a good shape of the cake, if there has to be added a lot of bezierpoints. In this case it is not possible, to grip the handles proper to create the right form of the shape of the cake.
In particular using only a laptop with a smaller screen it is very difficult and steals time.
I wonder, that this is not included in the software. I would understand it, if Arena would not being for Projection mapping, but in fact of the possibility of Projection Mapping from Arena, it is a must have in my opinion. Even Freeware has those possibilities to enlarge the view or to change the handlesizes.
I know, that I can swith on the Display and Slice Info and the Grid, but though it is this way, it is hard to grip the right bezier handles, if there are an amount of bezierpoints.And on the screen it is impossible to grip the right handles.

Another thing is, why don't you use different colours for handles and cornerpins? It would be a good help, too.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Magnifying Glass in Output Transformation Window

Post by Zoltán »

Zoom function has already been discussed and confirmed to come in Resolume 5.
You can try resizing the advanced output window for now.

or maybe you could try a different approach.
If it is a very complex object you are trying to map on, you could try to make a photograph of it (making photo from the projectors' perspective will help you much), then cut it out in photoshop, and export your shape as a mask.
This mask you can apply at clip or layer or composition level.
Then you could resize your slice to fit your masked contents on the object.

Or using the advanced output you can place masks, then it is easy to move-resize them.
place several masks around your object, this way creating the shape you want to achieve.

Or use a projector with a long throw lens(or zoom to your object as much as possible) to fit the content better on the advanced output window,
this is good for the projection brightness too.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

resolumeuer1962

Thanks for answering and showing alternate possibilities, they are not bad, but they would not be necessary, if basic functions, which should be certainly, would be implemented. And let me say this:
Proper positioning of new points and choose free amounts of new points, which is not possible in Resolume Areana, too (if I add new point, the amount of points are fixed) are in fact basic functions and should not come in future built new versions of the software, where people have to pay for it extra. I know and I understand, that It is usual to pay money for a new version-number, if there are significant new features and functions, but it should not be paid for basic functions. I really hope, that customers don`t have to pay for certainly basic functions in VPM.
I have to do often fine and filigree works by mapping wedding an birthday cakes, spiral staircase with different sizes of stairs, doors with inlays and so on. It is a suffer or not possible work to do it with Resolume Arena without these basic functions. In my opinion the basic functions for Video Project Mapping Software are insufficient to work with Video projection mapping in a way, I do. On the other hand I need to say, that Resolume is one of the best software for VJ-ing.
So I wish, that you will built in the important basic functions for VPM not only in new versions of Resolume Arena, but in near future updates of Resolume Arena 4.x

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

So as i heard things the advanced mapper was made to sort out LED video walls not for projection mapping. If the software isn't quite up to what you like, I'd suggest IR Visution or mad mapper. You can use both with resolume using spout or syphon.

In the future, before purchasing some software I would try buying and checking it out for features you need. It almost sounds like Resolume avenue with Visution or mad mapper would be cheaper and more suited to your specific need.

resolumeuer1962

On the homepage of Resolume there is standing following information:
Projection Mapping with Arena
Project video on any type of surface. Complex geometrical structures or whole buildings. Resolume does all the hard work, so you can concentrate on the important part: being creative.

Blend Projectors with Arena
With edge blending you can seamlessly project one beautiful widescreen image with two or more projectors. It can even wrap around for a full 360 degree experience.
However: I hope, it will be coming the day, that basic functions are implemented.
If not, I will sell the licence and paid my dues.
I bought this program, cause I use a PC and not a Mac. And I had read the Previews, thats why I bought it.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I think you should try to use a high resolution monitor for the gui, so you have a better resolution for the advanced output window.

If you attach your advanced output setup xml or post a screenshot maybe someone can hint you to simplify things.
for example, mapping a whole 4 stories cake with only one slice is insane.
I would use at least 8 slices for it. one for each surface. For each story side one separate slice, for the story top one for each. Each round surface can be mapped with 4 bezier corners.
Then repeat for the other side of the cake.

btw, you know when doing complex object mappings, IMO 80 percent of the work is making the 3d model and making the footage.
I worked on a rotating city mapping with 3 projectors (2 for the buildings and one for background) and we did it with 3 slices. and none of them needed more than the basic 4 corner points.
this is how the texture looked:
screenshot
screenshot
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu