"Red Box" clip grid similar to Ableton

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
dsquareddan
Is taking Resolume on a second date

"Red Box" clip grid similar to Ableton

Post by dsquareddan »

Hi loving the new 4.2 update. Works great with my APC40mk2.

I have a feature request if possible to implement in a later version. In Ableton, when you have a MIDI controller mapped, such as an APC or Launchpad, in Clip View there is a Red Box around the number of clips that MIDI controller can launch. You can "scroll" this clip grid left or right to bring certain parts of your set in focus on the MIDI controller.

As far as I am aware, this isn't possible to do. You can map the grid sure, but can't scroll it. Like on my APC40 I have 5x8 main pads. In resolume, if my deck area is larger than 5x8 I can't map the buttons to trigger outside that.

Thanks for any consideration to this idea. think it would be very beneficial

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: "Red Box" clip grid similar to Ableton

Post by Joris »

Resolume currently does not support a scrollable 'clip grid'.

We've been discussing it the options for it, but it's not as straightforward as it might seem.

Some controllers like the APC40 offer directional buttons, in which case the grid would nudge one row or column, up, down, left and right. Other controllers like the APC Mini have a Shift button, which would require the grid to nudge columns rows to the right. Or should it be 8 rows up?

And how do we know that the grid is 8 by 8 ( APC Mini ) or 8 by 5 ( APC40) ? Even then, there is no way to guarantee how you've mapped your controller. It could be you're using the top row for column triggering, in which case the grid can be 8x4. It could be you left some clips unmapped and your grid covers 27 rows and 17 columns.

Granted, we can start checking which midi shortcuts are used for which clips. But since every controller uses a different note layout, that puts us on the sliding slope that we need to write custom grid code for every controller on the market.

We have a few other ideas up our sleeve, but the issues above are the main reasons we've held on this for now.