Blending mode for bypass/layer fade

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Blending mode for bypass/layer fade

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

When using the fancy new layer bypass with layer routing, blend modes don't work for slices under what's being routed.

Could we get slices to work with blend modes when using the layer bypass fade option?
Attachments
blend mode 2.png
blend mode 1.png

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Blending mode for bypass/layer fade

Post by Joris »

It's very unlikely this will happen.

Resolume has a distinct compositing stage. All blending and mixing of layers happens in the composition. The GUI is designed to make this easy and intuitive. The resulting texture of the compositing stage is then passed to the advanced output for distribution to different screens and output.

When using layer to slice routing, you actively choose to bypass the compositing stage, so any blends and composition effects are ignored. It's best used if you quickly need to make a simple setup or as a last resort for a complex mapping that cannot be handled otherwise. It's the pixel equivalent of painting yourself in a corner, because you lose a lot compositing and other functionality when using layer to slice routing.

Because it's so easy to reposition and duplicate content in the advanced output as opposed to doing it on the layer, people have started using layer to slice routing just to position layers. So we're looking into if we can offer the same intuitive distribution options on the layer, so you can easily create your setups in the comp, keeping all your blend and effect options.

Added advantage would be that this would also make it easier to use multiple output setups and change them live.

ReggieUnderground
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by ReggieUnderground »

Joris wrote:Because it's so easy to reposition and duplicate content in the advanced output as opposed to doing it on the layer, people have started using layer to slice routing just to position layers. So we're looking into if we can offer the same intuitive distribution options on the layer, so you can easily create your setups in the comp, keeping all your blend and effect options.

Added advantage would be that this would also make it easier to use multiple output setups and change them live.
This would be great.

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

What about changing the behavior of the bypass button?

Right now it actively bypasses the input and output of the layer. Could we get it to still composite the layers underneath but bypass the output to the main composition?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I was wondering, why would you want to slice route that text layer if you are slicing it up exactly like the composition?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

I have 2 different LED screens that I need to send messages to.
With the 4.2 update and bypass trick, it has made my crazy layer router setup a lot easier to manage (so many special scenarios). I went from 13 layers to 9.

I used to have 2 separate layers for text stuff, now I use the top half of my flash text for one screen, bottom half for the other and just route it to the center of the screens. I actually have 5 screens I send content too, but text and messages are only for 2 of them. The "half" screens in the images are actually 1 big screen @ 1728 x 480, my other is 1152x512

xoundbox
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by xoundbox »

I'm having the same issue and struggling to solve it and reached here at last.
So we're looking into if we can offer the same intuitive distribution options on the layer, so you can easily create your setups in the comp, keeping all your blend and effect options.
How's this going? I really want this! :D

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

phpBB [video]

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

xoundbox wrote:I'm having the same issue and struggling to solve it and reached here at last.
So we're looking into if we can offer the same intuitive distribution options on the layer, so you can easily create your setups in the comp, keeping all your blend and effect options.
How's this going? I really want this! :D
This most likely won't be implemented for a while. I requested this after the 4.2.0 release, we're only at 4.2.1 bug fix release, so need to wait for a major release for new features like this