Store blend modes by clip/column

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
anthonydiehl
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Store blend modes by clip/column

Post by anthonydiehl »

A reeeeally helpful feature would be the ability to store/assign blend mode settings on a per clip/column basis. This way you could program really dialled in looks that include different blend modes, store/assign them to a clip/column and then recall those settings by simply triggering that clip/column. This is the biggest hurdle I see when quickly programming looks for a very linear show (a bands set list, look per song, etc).

Essentially, the idea is to build a look and be able to recall it without having to manually change a bunch things like blend modes and layer order to fully recall that look.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Store blend modes by clip/column

Post by Oaktown »

This is pretty easy to achieve if you use OSC/MIDI/DMX to program your shows. All you have to do is change the blend mode(s) right before you trigger clips/columns. You can also adjust the transition time the same way.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

in addition, you can have many layers with different settings, without performance drop (when a layer is not playing it is not rendered).
so you can place a copy of your clip if you want a different blend at different places, this is no problem if you use dxv files.

I do these with combination of osc controlled transition time setting, and it is easy to see what is happening during the show.

btw, columns have no properties yet, they are just a placeholder for clips as far as I know.
but it could be interesting to have columns get a properties panel.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

anthonydiehl
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by anthonydiehl »

Sounds like others achieve this via some work around... which is my whole point. If the feature existed natively, we'd all be using it that way. I suppose another way to think of this would be to store blend modes on a per clip basis; a simple drop down menu in the clip parameters that defaulted to "layer determined" but could be manually overridden to a specific blend mode.

That's my 2 cents. I think it would be a hugely useful addition!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We've been toying with this idea as well. Happy to hear people would find it useful.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Assuming the transition timing could be adjusted as well on a per-clip basis, this would not only be useful but it would be a HUGE time saver and simplify the process greatly.

gabonacorp
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gabonacorp »

+1 and no limitation would be also nice. Longest transition time 10 sec now but sometimes a longer transition would be really handy.

Programfeed

Post by Programfeed »

+1 clip-specific blend modes 8-)

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Yup, definitely a feature I could use. This may actually partially replace my preview to master request the other day..

Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Joris wrote:We've been toying with this idea as well.
For 6 years?