Artnet IP

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Artnet IP

Post by Joris »

I'm not totally sure :) What I'm trying to say that giving info about the nodes on the network always could be useful, and not related to the broadcast vs. unicast topic at all.
We agree that being able to see the info is useful. We also agree that seeing the info is not actually the same as unicasting.

The reason I equated those two, is that I don't see a reason why you would still broadcast to every IP on the network, once you have seen the info and have confirmed that you are connected to the right node.

.lov.
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by .lov. »

Joris wrote:The reason I equated those two, is that I don't see a reason why you would still broadcast to every IP on the network, once you have seen the info and have confirmed that you are connected to the right node.
A. Because Art-Net I is broadcast only. Unicast introduced in Art-Net II which had released in 2006, so its relatively new - even if it sounds funny for an almost 10 years old technology, but lighting gear are expensive, so people are don't buy new stuff every year. In other words, there is a good chance there are nodes out there with only Art-Net I compliance. (I'm not a lighting expert, but I guess that is the reason why all of the "standard" lighting softwares still supports and using broadcast by default).

B. Broadcast is more user friendly. For only 1 universe they are almost the same. Art-Net I with broadcast can handle up to 40 universes theoretically, but in practice that is much lower when you sending packets to all of the universes. But imagine a situation where you use 10 universes with Resolume. The user does not need to configure anything right now in Resolume, since broadcast sends to everyone, it will just work. With Unicast, they would need to set a target for each device, which is far more steps than doing nothing, IMHO :)

C. On my side (or more precisely on Vezér's side) a lot of people using self-made Art-Net nodes (usually Arduino's) but they usually don't implement the ArtPool part, so those devices cannot be discovered. With broadcast, the setup is easier in Vezér than it would be with Unicast.

DuckEater
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by DuckEater »

Joris wrote:I don't see a reason why you would still broadcast to every IP on the network, once you have seen the info and have confirmed that you are connected to the right node.
If you want to implement a "auto-unicast" (that's what you seem to mean),
it's useful to keep a way to manually force the broadcast, as long as you don't also implement multicast ! ;)

I mean if there is more than one art-net device listening to the same sub-net/universe/address, an auto-unicast could forget one of those.
Video tech on tour - Catalyst, Resolume Arena, VVVV and MadMapper professional user.