NDI support

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
leadedge
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: NDI support

Post by leadedge »

That's a great report. Sounds like it all works well in a practical situation and at 1440p too.

I have also found that a combination of buffering and asynchronous sending gives the best performance.

I was pretty confident about it, so have updated the distribution already. Some changes to the receiver plugin for improved fps as well.

It is near the last I will do for the plugins. But I think I can squeeze even more out of it using assembler functions and this will help the general performance of Spout applications, so I am spending some time on this now.

radikarl
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by radikarl »

Mix Emergency 3.1 supports Syphon and NDI (both in and out)

so you can use that as a bridge. Its Mac Only though.

leadedge

Post by leadedge »

Update

Assembler optimizations do help. Here are some fps figures for the plugins to give you an idea.

Vsync off, NDI sender not clocked

NDIsender
800x600 - 124
1280x720 - 118
1920x1080 - 97
2560x1440 - 61
3840x2160 - 31

NDIreceiver
800x600 - 118
1280x720 - 92
1920x1080 - 67
2560x1440 - 47
3840x2160 - 21

Of course if the NDI sender is clocked at a certain fps, the maximum is that of the clocked rate. Attached are updated plugins to see if they make a difference.

If they are improved and stable please let me know because I would like to use the optimized functions within the Spout SDK. This will be the last update for these plugins.

Edit : if you do not have "Processing.NDI.Lib.x86.dll" it is in the previous attachment. Put it next to Arena.exe.
Attachments
NDI_Feeeframe_testing_28-07-16.zip
(129.95 KiB) Downloaded 1733 times

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Leadedge, I tested your plugins extensively yesterday and it worked great!

A couple of things to report:
  • 1) When I use the NDI sender, the comp FPS seems to line up with the FPS of the clip that has the slowest FPS
    2) No dropdown menu in the NDI receiver to select the NDI channel

leadedge

Post by leadedge »

A drop down list is not possible with Freeframe unfortunately, so I have made the next best thing with a slider control "Sender index". The range 0 - 1 is divided into as many senders as are detected, up to 10 of them.

Slide it along and you will see the name of the sender in the background. Sender detection is not instant, so slide and pause to get each sender. The old "SpoutReceiver" plugin used a different method and a popup dialog which is a lot better but this is built into the Spout SDK.

I am not sure how to reproduce what you are seeing. Are you running more that one receiver or more than one clip?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Tested the Syphon to NDI over 2 office computers. Worked very well with "low bandwidth" enabled.

Is there going to be a NDI to Syphon developed for OSX? This would allow other NDI streams to be input sources in Resolume. Essentially at that point I could take broadcast feed via NDI, Windows content via Spout or NDI and other OSX inputs via Syphon or NDI and have one platform to mix and merge all inputs.
THIS IS VERY EXCITING!

I'm not much of a coder, but if you need any beta testing done, I have a very large warehouse with gear and a few gigabit networks at my disposal. Would love to help in any way I can.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

You can find a link to a beta version of Syphon to and from NDI programs in the following webpage: http://spout.zeal.co/forums/topic/spout ... on-to-ndi/

leadedge

Post by leadedge »

There are a few download links scattered about, so the latest copy of "Syphon2NDI" by Techlife is available here. The latest Spout version will always be available from the download page.

I don't use OSX so I might be missing something, but the conversion from NDI back to Syphon should be done by "Syphon2NDIClient". Then Resolume should then list it as a Syphon source.

No updates to the Spout to NDI programs are in the works because it seems to be stable. Any experience you gain will be valuable for people to know.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I don't use OSX so I might be missing something, but the conversion from NDI back to Syphon should be done by "Syphon2NDIClient". Then Resolume should then list it as a Syphon source.
Correct, you pick the NDI stream in the NDItoSyphonClient
Screenshot 2016-11-11 06.09.43.png
Then you use it in Resolume as you would a normal clip
Screenshot 2016-11-11 06.08.12.png
As a note, because it's using Syphon technology, there is no audio stream.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Thanks Oaktown! That was it! Didn't know the NDI client was also available for an input source. Very cool.
Thanks for all the help. This is going to be a game changer for me (Broadcast and live festival use)