Exclude layer from composition effects

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Exclude layer from composition effects

Post by Joris »

Sure, I can use an Effect Layer and control whatever is beneath that layer, but in my view I think it is best to have composition effects where they belong.

In my view it would make sense to have a mappable button on a layer so I can toggle global effects on that specific layer.
I think there may be some misunderstanding on how composition effects work.

Composition effects work as follows: combine the pixels of layer 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 together, then apply the effect *once*, on that combined result.

They do *not* work as follows: apply the effect on layer 1, apply the effect on layer 2, apply the effect on layer 3, apply the effect on layer 4, apply the effect on layer 5, and combine the result of those pixels. In fact, that's what layer effects do.

There is a fundamental difference between those two ways. The difference is that the composition doesn't "know" about its layers. The composition is just a *single image*, combined of all the pixels that are in it. Effects applied on the composition are applied on that single image. The moment you're applying an effect on the layer images directly, it is per definition no longer a composition effect. The only way to exclude a layer from the composition image and therefor the composition effects, is to exclude that layer from the composition entirely.

It looks like you are actually requesting to apply an effect on every layer except one. It's very simple to do that, you simply apply an effect on every layer except one ;)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I want to turn off/bypass all composition effects with one toggle?
Third option is to put the opacity of every effect on the same dashboard dial, and then map the dashboard dial.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Joris wrote:Composition effects work as follows: combine the pixels of layer 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 together, then apply the effect *once*, on that combined result.
So in essence, an effect clip in the top layer would be the same as running effects in the composition, right? Which would mean that if all the "composition" effects are that top layer, all you need to do is turn the layer off to turn off all the effects at once, correct?

Joris

Post by Joris »

Practically, yes.

Technically, they're not identical. You're adding one more render pass. Also, depending on the comp size, you could be using additional VRAM.

To put that in perspective, for normal use, one render pass and some extra VRAM doesn't make a dent. When running 8192x4096 textures, you'll start to notice.

Ofaroqui1
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Ofaroqui1 »

I have a question, if Im not worried about effects on the logo, is it better to setup different audio/bpm effect clips or hve them as composition effects?

I feel like bc composition effects are always processing audio/bpm (even if theyre not activated), the effect clips only do so when triggered/turned on.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Don't worry about it. The CPU overhead for showing that parameter animation is negligible.

Ofaroqui1

Post by Ofaroqui1 »

Joris wrote:Don't worry about it. The CPU overhead for showing that parameter animation is negligible.
Even if I'm running the waveclock program for BPM and around 15 audio effects? I just feel like it takes me longer than necessary to switch between decks and the only thing I could trace it back to was the audio effects. Most of my compositions are upwards of 12 decks though (DXV3 encoded)

Laptop specs:
MSI GS63VR 15.5" 1920x1080
Intel Quad core i7 (6th gen) 2.6 Ghz w/ up to 3.6Ghz Ready Boost or w/e
16GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB SSD, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (where resolume is installed)
Geforce GTX1060 w/ 6gb DDR5 ram

Hard drives are not full, the program and operating system are installed on the 500gb SSD which is where my visuals are. I run 5 layers (not all at once) with about 8 clips on each layer so 40 clips minimum on each layer. I almost feel like I'd be better off increasing the number of clips per deck so I don't have to change as often.

Audio source is External FFT from audio interface card

Joris

Post by Joris »

Technically, there's no difference. But you should totally arrange your decks the way you feel is best.

krjc

Post by krjc »

Hi,
I have a really similar problem. Maybe there is another solution...
I have a camera layer and I have a layer above that is supposed to affect the camera layer like a frame.
Below that I have a background layer. I wanna use a composition effect or an effect clip, and somehow bypass all effects on the camera layer. I can't put it to the top and can't route it to an output slice on the top, because then i would lose the frame. Any other ideas? :)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

If in Arena, use groups: https://resolume.com/support/en/groups
and apply your 'composition effects' on the bottom group instead.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu