OSC output

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Shaun
Is taking Resolume on a second date

OSC output

Post by Shaun »

Hi, I'm currently in the process of making a Max patch that controls and saves presets for resolume via OSC over a network. I wanna keep the amount of messages output by resolume low to not clog up the network.. Thing is resolume loves to output loads of messages over OSC like video clip positions, which is constant..

Basically I wanna turn off all OSC output except for the ones I want, and I don't wanna sit there all night turning off everything one by one (finding them all would be a pain)..

Any ideas's? Something simple for a future update perhaps..?

Thanks

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: OSC output

Post by Joris »

Currently, the approach for OSC is "everything goes out, unless specified otherwise". The use case we have in mind with this, is an application that responds to changes in Resolume, that is distributed to end-users (and not just the app creator). In the case of "everything-goes-out". this means the application will work out of the box, without requiring additional setup from the end-user.

Should we flip the behaviour, it would require the end-user to have to follow a readme and turn on the required output. This is the less ideal option of the two.

That said, we recognize that Resolume can get a bit over-enthusiastic with spitting out OSC. As in, jeez, Resolume, say it, don't spray it. This is something that we're taking a look at for Resolume 6.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Maybe there could be an alternative approach where OSC commands are divided in groups with the default mode being [All on].

OSC commands could be divided in groups like this:
  • - Composition
    - Layer
    - Clips
    - Active Layer & Clip [Layer focus]
    - Effects
In the [All off] mode, the user would be able to turn on any command they need to fit their need. I know that for most of the shows I work on, I end up using only a dozen OSC commands to add timeline features and automation to my compositions so that would work great for me.

Shaun
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Shaun »

I think just another option in preferences where you can turn OSC output on, but they're all off by default would be great..

chenthemagician
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by chenthemagician »

+1 for Oaktown's suggestion mixed with Shaun's
HP Omen
8 GB RAM
i7 7th gen 2.8 GHz
Win 10 Home
Nvidia 1050 GTX

Asus G751J - 860M
i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

Livid OHM RGB Controller

Creating Solutions, Tailored to your needs!

Repping from the 876 - Jamaica "Out of Many, One People"

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Shaun wrote:I wanna keep the amount of messages output by resolume low to not clog up the network..
The network utilisation from osc is not so much traffic that it would clog up a network IMO.
In the case of implementing the on/off switches for message groups I vote for the current user has to switch on OSC output, but the groups are set to ON by default, so a program update doesn't suddenly disable OSC output.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu