Notch Realtime/Interactive Support

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Meptik
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Notch Realtime/Interactive Support

Post by Meptik »

Is it possible for Resolume to integrate with Notch? Currently, D3, and AI support native compatibility within it. Would be cool to see Resolume support the ability. Thanks!

https://www.notch.one/

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Notch Realtime/Interactive Support

Post by drazkers »

What is wrong with spout? Notch actually lists resolume on their website via spout.

Meptik

Post by Meptik »

I was hoping that it would support native integration, much like D3 and AI do. Rather than Spout integration, you can export Notch and run it natively:

https://www.notch.one/portfolio/exporti ... ioID=13850

drazkers

Post by drazkers »

I gotta admit i have a had fun with notch when testing beside my AI and D3 designer dongles. But if it wasn't a super simple add like quartz composer I wonder how much work it would be for the resolume guys.

On the flip side i've been playing with triggering different looks in notch via artnet and sending the result via spout. But i kinda like doing hacky things which never make it to shows.

I question how many people truly cross over between Notch and Resolume. Notch is 2,500 pounds and then 1750 every year after. Most people buying Resolume tend to shy away from costs like that.

Meptik

Post by Meptik »

I had in mind that Resolume could be a great solution for playing back Notch files in scenarios where simplicity is key.

I'm quite familiar with D3, AI, Pandora, X-Agora and the like, and while they all have their pros and cons, Resolume is a great scenario on the fly.

We could do the same by triggering cues into Notch, however, it's always one more variable to deal with sometimes.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

To be completely honest, I've yet to see what makes Notch so special.

Any particular reason why we'd need to implement support for it, rather than QC, VVVV, Max/Jitter, Magic, VUO, FugIO, GLSL, ShaderToy, Unity, Unreal, Touch Designer, Processing, openFrameworks, Cinder, insert your favourite noodle app here, or any of a 1000 other creative coding options?

HI5

Post by HI5 »

insert your favourite noodle app here
;) Have a good monday Joris

Meptik

Post by Meptik »

Only asking as it's gained quite a bit of traction in the concert touring and live event worlds. Yes it can be used standalone with Spout, and yes there are other languages out there, however just asking as it's something I've run into in in particular. Thanks!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

To be clear, I'm not trolling or trying to diss Notch.

I noticed the sudden popularity as well, so I was honestly wondering if there was something that made it particularly good for use with the live event industry, compared to the other options.

drazkers

Post by drazkers »

With a small number of nodes you get great effects and it's focused at the industry, hence the high price. Also it runs pretty darn well with what it does.

Can it do as much as touch designer? Nope. But it's like a fraction of the build time and more stable.
Nice to use a visual programming language to crafted your own effects.

If people had their own way to visually program ffgl effects(in a 3d engine) in a to drag into resolume would be a good description. The real question is, would notch be the best solution for resolume to add that functionality? I personally don't think so, espically when joris mentioned so many other great options, many that are free.