Advanced output - high contrast mode for slice controls

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Zoltán
Team Resolume

Advanced output - high contrast mode for slice controls

Post by Zoltán »

The problem I am often facing is that I have to adjust the slices with lighting switched on - other people need to see what they are doing on the stage - , so I have to use bright footages usually a white solid color - so I can see what I am doing. But when I use this, and the bezier points get into the slice it is really hard to find the 1 px bluish line and circle. So I have to switch off or dim the slice content so I can find the point I want to adjust, and then back. As this is not ideal I often find myself hunting around with the mouse in the area I expect the control to be, to catch it changing color, with mixed results.

So would it be possible to add a switch to the advanced output setup, which would make the slice outlines, points and especially the bezier mode controls (etc.) have a 1-2 pixel black/dark outline, so the controls would have contrast on any footage?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Advanced output - high contrast mode for slice controls

Post by Joris »

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. After Effects solves this by letting you pick the outline color. Maybe that's an idea as well?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Have you tried with inverting your screens?

On the Mac, there are several options in the Accessibility menu in the System Preference such as Increase contrast, Invert colors, etc.. but I can't seem to find something comparable to the "Increase contrast" option in Windows 10.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

inverting the screen would not really make things simpler I think, and an inverted white with an inverted bluish, would not be more visible, as I need to have the white on the projection.

Choosing the color would be the simplest way programming wise, and also should be easier on the gpu as drawing everything in a more complex way.
I suggested the outline method, because it would not need any adjusting, it would work out of the box with any kind of background, solid color or anything, still or moving.

A method I often use in web design to make text pop is for example to apply a little bit of black shadow to the white letters, with the shadow fading away with distance, I if the outline would be a kind of shadow, that would not only be useful and easy to see but would also look cool I think:). Would probably need some resources from the gpu, I wouldn't want that.

Anyways, I would be happy with the adjustable color as well.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Empyfree »

Another option/idea would be for the cursor / grid etc to invert the colours of anything it crosses below, that would make it immediately contrasting and visible.

Programfeed
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Programfeed »

Joris wrote:Yeah, I know what you're talking about. After Effects solves this by letting you pick the outline color. Maybe that's an idea as well?
Ran into a situation this weekend where this would have been great.