New Transport Mode: Force Native

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
kclarkmusic
Is taking Resolume on a second date

New Transport Mode: Force Native

Post by kclarkmusic »

Proposition to include a new Transport Mode option: Native Speed or Force Native Speed

Any clip set to this Transport Mode will ONLY play at it's native rendered speed, ignoring both the Layer and Global Speed Control sliders.

Obviously I should really be using Time Code to lock these video clips with the artists tracks but at the moment I'm stuck just synchronizing my start of the clip.

At the moment the only work around I can think of would be to separate these specific clips onto dedicated layers, apart from my working layers, and rather than utilizing the Global Speed Control, I would map each layer's Local Speed Control for the working layers, and not for the special clip layers.

Programfeed
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: New Transport Mode: Force Native

Post by Programfeed »

I can see a use case for this where you would want to adjust global speed without affecting a clip in Timeline transport mode, such as lyrics.

Maybe a more flexible way of solving the issue is a lock button next to a clip's speed control, which would force it to hold whatever speed you set it to. That way you could still easily tweak it as needed.
Obviously I should really be using Time Code to lock these video clips with the artists tracks
That's one way to do it, but I agree with you that some other speed lock option would be useful. Dealing with timecode isn't always the best solution, especially depending on the artist's mixing style.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: New Transport Mode: Force Native

Post by Joris »

We've been toying with this idea as well. Aside from making it easier to avoid operator error during show, there are some technical benefits to letting a clip control its own playback, instead of being forced to display a certain frame by us. For instance, h264 playback would become a lot less CPU intensive, since the clip can use its own predictive playback instead of constantly being hard set to the next frame.

At the moment, it's unclear whether this is possible for a variety of boring technical reasons. It's on our radar though.