random play enhancement

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
moabyte
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

random play enhancement

Post by moabyte »

It would really add a whole new feel to the random play if we could set the playback speed of the clip separate from the duration between jumping to the new frame. The original Arkaos VJ had this as a feature and I really really miss it. I have Modul8 and VDMX and I'm sure I could find a way to do it in QC, but it seems like such a simple thing. I love setting playback speed of clips to 2x or 3x and set the skip to random frame in MS to match 1/4, 1/8, 1/16th and such. A built in BPM calc would be great too. Any thoughts?

lightbx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: random play enhancement

Post by lightbx »

This sounds...interesting, but I don't know if I fully understand your request. It may not be as simple as having a playback speed, and a "speed" at which the randomizer jumps to a new frame.

It sounds like this would require an additional variable –– a number of frames to play (in forward order) before skipping to a new random frame. Resolume would jump to a random frame, plays some number of frames in forward order, skip to another random frame, play the number of frames in order again, and so on. (e.g. setting this new variable to 30 frames would play one second of the clip before jumping to a new random frame.) Resolume would essentially have to "switch" back and forth between random and forward playback modes. You could then set the (forward) playback speed of the original clip to whatever you would want.

It would be much easier for the VJ to drop in multiple copies of their video into the same Layer, and divide the video up into smaller bits, with each "bit" getting its own clip. Then, you select all bits, and set their Auto Pilot to "Play Random Clip." If the entire Layer is one video file broken up, you will get the same visual effect as Random playback, only you can then control how much of the clip is played at a time, and the playback speed of each individual bit. I know this turns a Clip into a Layer, but it's much faster and more effective than hoping for software updates.

IMO, if we're talking new play modes, the one where a video loops with a crossfade between it's own ending/beginning takes priority. The one major benefit you mention is that if you could set a "duration" for the video to play before jumping to a random frame, you could in theory MIDI Map the "jump rate" to 1/4 Bar, 1 Bar, etc.

Hope this helps!

Sadler
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Sadler »

This sound like what you're looking for?
phpBB [video]

moabyte

Post by moabyte »

Looks like what I want, and maybe a bit more control even. I'll have a look. Thank you.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I dig those clips. Pretty cool stuff

moabyte

Post by moabyte »

Does not seem to work under Res 5 :cry:

Arvol
Might as well join the team