Pre loading

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
micpool
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Pre loading

Post by micpool »

I am very keen on using resolume for a project, but have 1 problem that I can’t find a solution to.
If I have a number of clips on a layer, and a transition time set, when I select a new clip to transition to, playback stutters on the currently playing clip.

Other media servers address this by being able to load the first second of video or so of all clips,that are going to be used in a continuous sequence , into buffers but I cant see a feature to do this, or a work around.

Any pointers?

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Pre loading

Post by drazkers »

m.2 drives do a great job handling this. Traditional drives will always cause this with modern resolutions.

In large corporates I actually have multiple ssds and m.2s. Each cue follows to a different drive.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Choosing fast SSDs for media storage is essential these days.
If you want to have the best performance use files with DXV codec.
Starting to decode a H264 for example takes time, if you don't play the H264 from the start you have to seek to a position and if that position doesn't happen to be a keyframe, to get the current frame you have to seek to the previous keyframe, decode, all the frames in between to get your actual frame texture. This takes time and processing power.
With DXV you can just jump to the position and decode.

In media servers that are timeline based, and you don't jump from one point to the other during normal use, you can estimate when a clip begins to play. Pre buffering in a VJ application where you can have as many decks as you want and virtually as many clips as you want, and you could launch any clip at any time, you'd have to keep a buffer for all the files decoded in memory.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Same here, we use fast professional grade SSD and m.2 drives on all our servers and I don't seem to have any issues transitioning between clips. As a note, I use DXV3 codec for every video clip.

@ micpool, are you using a lot of stills in your decks?

Warspite
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Warspite »

Regarding H264. You can encode with option "keyframe every 1 frame", then there is no problems with keyframes.

micpool

Post by micpool »

Thanks for your replies. I am using SSDs. I'll try DXV3 codec.

I realise preloading entire decks would be problematic My suggestion was more that individual clips could be manually preloaded into the buffer if necessary using a right click option or OSC message. So if you had 2 4K clips with lots of motion that needed to crossfade you could preload the beginnings of each cue into buffers.

Mic

residenthamster

Post by residenthamster »

micpool wrote:Thanks for your replies. I am using SSDs. I'll try DXV3 codec.

I realise preloading entire decks would be problematic My suggestion was more that individual clips could be manually preloaded into the buffer if necessary using a right click option or OSC message. So if you had 2 4K clips with lots of motion that needed to crossfade you could preload the beginnings of each cue into buffers.

Mic
So perhaps like a checkbox in the clip properties to Preload Clip Into RAM Buffer so Resolume will prioritize those clips?