Midi channels

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
rawdesigns
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Midi channels

Post by rawdesigns »

Is it possible to toggle through different midi channels (1,2,3, etc) live using a midi controller? I know you can do it with a Traktor S4 using their software. Is there a way to do it with an APC mini? Basically want to switch pages on the controller live so each button can be used for several different ways. Thanks

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Midi channels

Post by Arvol »

rawdesigns wrote:Is it possible to toggle through different midi channels (1,2,3, etc) live using a midi controller? I know you can do it with a Traktor S4 using their software. Is there a way to do it with an APC mini? Basically want to switch pages on the controller live so each button can be used for several different ways. Thanks

That would be a question for the midi controller manufacture.
MIDIfighter has side buttons that can be used to load different MIDI decks on the controller.
You could also write some code in Bomes to accomplish the same thing (MIDI note x changes the values of MIDI notes y-z)
Are you wanting Resolume to do this?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I could imagine this as a new feature along with modifier notes working like modifier keys.
You could push a button/note like a sticky modifier to switch shortcut 'banks'.
This would not actually switch midi channels but could be working like that.

We would welcome some input from others how they would expect something like this to work.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by sleepytom »

MIDI sucks balls, the different controllers all use such wildly different systems that it is really hard to create some of the stuff that controller *should* be able to do.

The solution is to control resolume via OSC and make a bridging app which manages the MIDI comms to / from the controller. It would be great if Resolume had this kind of control mapping system internally. In the meantime I have some plans to make some more bridge apps for popular controllers ;)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Rawdesigns, as Arvol mentioned, you should look at the Midi Fighter Twister controller (and the Midi Fighter 3D as well).

That controller would give an amazing amount of combination/permutations with 4 pages of 16 endless encoders/push switches for a total of 64 MIDI CC and 64 MIDI notes. Each controller comes with an add'l 6 side buttons.

In addition to the encoder push switch sending a MIDI note, the Twister's interface lets you program each encoder to have multiple functions when you push it so for instance you could program each encoder to work like 2 different CC rather than one CC + one note. That could give access to an amazing 128 endless encoders in a very small controller!

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Midi only = Bomes

I have a touch designer patch that does exactly what Tom says but merges midi and artnet.