Post by yochee »

multitouch/touchscreens will get a standard

yochee
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: A touch screen friendly version of Resolume

Post by yochee »

http://www.preissuchmaschine.ch/news_9025.html

Der Trend für 2009: Multitouch-Screens bei mobilen PCs

Der Technologieanbieter N-trig gibt einen Ausblick auf die Technik, die im kommenden Jahr die Notebooks verändern soll.

Das Unternehmen erwartet, dass im kommenden Jahr vermehrt Standard-Laptops mit Multitouch-Technologie auf den Markt kommen.
Durch das iPhone sei Multitouch bekannt geworden und der Markt nun bereit, dass die Technologie mit Windows 7 eine große Rolle spielen wird.

„Multitouch-Datenströme werden von Windows 7 nativ erkannt“, so N-trigs VP of Business Development Lenny Engelhardt.
Das Unternehmen hat mit Microsoft zusammengearbeitet und stellt für Softwareentwickler bereits eine Betaversion der N-trig-Treiber für Windows 7 bereit.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... -Test.docx

yochee
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by yochee »

The User Experience—and Why It Is Important
Multitouch is a new and exciting mode of interaction that holds the promise of delighting users and inspiring developers. The digitizer technologies that enable natural and intuitive gestures are revolutionizing human-computer interaction and heralding a new era of natural user interfaces.
Or are they?
Multitouch technology will fail if the user experience that it delivers is not truly great. Broad adoption will come only if every user experience with this technology is effortless, intuitive, and consistent. For this to occur, every component in the technology stack must be responsive, robust, and tuned to work in the ways that real people interact with touch-screens. The strict and sometimes complex demands of the user experience hit the hardware level the hardest, because the digitizer is at the very front lines of interaction. Behind every touch that the digitizer detects is a user who has very high expectations and a very low tolerance of dubious quality.

phlesch
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by phlesch »

My partner and I are on the verge of getting Resolume and we're thinking that VJing with this software and one of the very new multi-touch tablet laptops might just be pretty darn amazing to work with. So it's great to see other people excited by the possibility of using this technology with Resolume.

I've read a few older posts on this forum from others who've used earlier generation single touch screens and understand the problems it presents, especially with regard to having no right-click capability. But perhaps the multi-touch screens allow for a right-click gesture?

Would a good, (ie. capacitive technology) multi-touch tablet PC work well with resolume? Anybody tried something similar? (Because it's "only" about AU$2,000, we're looking at the HP tx2).

I would love if someone out there (maybe Bart!?) would try to bring me down to earth and prevent me from having a massive dose of consumer ennui!

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

Like I said, right-click isn't a huge problem: most tablet PCs support it already either via press-and-hold or via a button on stylus. I've used a Lenovo X61 Tablet with Resolume 2.41 and it works fine.

The real problem is that tablet PCs generally don't tend to be high performance, they seem more built for portability. The X61 has Intel 965 graphics, which is OK for Res 2.41, but clearly won't work for Resolume 3.0

What works OK, and shows potential, is to build an interface in Max/MSP or something like that on the tablet, and send commands via OSC to Resolume 3 on another computer. Though at this point you might as well start thinking about a Lemur...

SHQ
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by SHQ »

any news about this feature request?

multitouch support for os has come with win 7..osc is surely nice feature but its generates need of another external equipment and customizing to get good control of r3..wouldnt it be nicer to control more elements of UI directly on touchscreen?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

any news about this feature request?
Resolume already works with touch screens. Some of the buttons can be kind of small, but clip triggering works like a charm. Is there any specific implementation you'd like to see?

Joris

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Shure it works with a touchscreen. But only touching the cliptrigger is comfortable.

Did you ever tried to use the crossfader oder hitting the small target of the Clip decks? (by the way: Deckchanging is sooo slow)

A nice feature to make resolume more comfortable for touchusers would be the possibility of custom resizing some buttons / Faders. real "Custom Views" of the Resolume layout.
For example. Rightclick on the Crossfader / Custom Size / choose 5px,10px,25px,50px

+ Very important in my eyes is a possibility to resize the Scrollbars!!! They arent touchfriendly at all!

Would be sooo great !!

Greetings
Cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hey there

As you already figured out, most interface elements are too tiny to be properly used with a touch interface. So we'd need to make a separate touch screen version, with either resizable elements (not so likely), or a complete interface overhaul (more likely).

That would mean it would be separate product, with all the costs associated with that (development, implementation, testing). Is that something you'd be willing to pay extra for?

Joris