Tweaks!

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
olivepixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Tweaks!

Post by olivepixel »

A few small tweaks, not worth a thread each I think:

Effects list - how about having each effect default to the collapsed state and hide the presets, otherwise for single effect you sometimes need to scroll past eight lines.

Layer blend modes - it would be nice to be able to place the cursor over the layer blend mode and then use the scroll wheel to change. I find that I often can't decide which blend mode will suit what I'm doing best, so I try a few, and in Photoshop the mouse wheel works making this much easier.

Layer order – when using the arrows to move a layer up and down, the cursor should jump with the layer to make it easier to shift a layer right to the top or bottom.

Static effect – makes more sense to call this 'noise' because that's what the majority of programs call it? This one is a bit anal, I know!

Master gain – would be very handy to be able to map the master FFT input gain to a controller so you can turn it down for a bass heavy track without going into the menu.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Tweaks!

Post by Joris »

Hey Olivepixel!

Thanks for your suggestions:
Effects list - how about having each effect default to the collapsed state and hide the presets
This already has been requested and is on the to-do list. Ticket #1226, thread viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6936&p=26337#p26337
Layer blend modes - it would be nice to be able to place the cursor over the layer blend mode and then use the scroll wheel to change.
Good idea. At the moment you can achieve a similar result by mapping a key to the triangle drop down for the blend modes. When you then set the key to be in 'mouse mode' along the y-axis, you can press the key and move the mouse up and down to scroll. Is that sort of what you're looking for?
Layer order – when using the arrows to move a layer up and down, the cursor should jump with the layer to make it easier to shift a layer right to the top or bottom.
Yup, I can see how that can be confusing. I'll make a ticket for it.
Static effect – makes more sense to call this 'noise'
Ehm. Yeah. I'm afraid that once we start down that track there's no end to it. Should LoRez be called Pixellate? Should Trails be called ImageBuffer?
Master gain – would be very handy to be able to map the master FFT input gain to a controller
We purposely let all FFT mapped parameters have individually mappable controls so you could turn down on parameters mapped to the bass, while not affecting ones mapped to the highs. In practice access to a master fader could come in handy as well. I guess it would make more sense to have a Master FFT Input Gain in the interface somewhere then. Hmmm. I'll make a ticket, but this will require some more consideration.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions! I hope the answers made some sense!

Joris

olivepixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by olivepixel »

Effects list - how about having each effect default to the collapsed state and hide the presets
This already has been requested and is on the to-do list. Ticket #1226, thread viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6936&p=26337#p26337
Ah sorry, missed it or wasn't paying attention. Great!
Layer blend modes - it would be nice to be able to place the cursor over the layer blend mode and then use the scroll wheel to change.
Good idea. At the moment you can achieve a similar result by mapping a key to the triangle drop down for the blend modes. When you then set the key to be in 'mouse mode' along the y-axis, you can press the key and move the mouse up and down to scroll. Is that sort of what you're looking for?
Yes, that's sort of it I think.
Static effect – makes more sense to call this 'noise'
Ehm. Yeah. I'm afraid that once we start down that track there's no end to it. Should LoRez be called Pixellate? Should Trails be called ImageBuffer?
Ah, well, I suppose I'd say yes! I'd always pick the standard term unless there's a very good reason not to.
Master gain – would be very handy to be able to map the master FFT input gain to a controller
We purposely let all FFT mapped parameters have individually mappable controls so you could turn down on parameters mapped to the bass, while not affecting ones mapped to the highs. In practice access to a master fader could come in handy as well. I guess it would make more sense to have a Master FFT Input Gain in the interface somewhere then. Hmmm. I'll make a ticket, but this will require some more consideration.
But there is a master option in the Preferences>Audio section, it can't be mapped however (as far as I know)? I find that I'm changing this all the time – one setting for home where it's quieter, and then different settings during the night depending on the music to keep the effects where they are needed.

Thanks for the reply!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

olivepixel wrote: Ah, well, I suppose I'd say yes! I'd always pick the standard term unless there's a very good reason not to.
Consider it creative liberties on the part of the developers ;-)
But there is a master option in the Preferences>Audio section, it can't be mapped however (as far as I know)?
Yup. If it would midi mappable (is that actually a word?), it would make more sense to have it in the main interface though, since it has become a part of your live tools, and not a preference. Let us ponder this ;-)