Clip lock / Layer lock

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Re: Clip lock / Layer lock

Post by cosmowe »

Hey Joris,
why so complicated? ;)

Adding a "lock value" feature to the right-click menu would let anybody choose the locks they want.
It would make sense to only be able to lock things like layers/clips, columns, layer and master opacity.

Via right click "unlock all" you swap back.

Locked layers, columns, parameters can have a slight different colour tint to make it easy to identify them.

Greetings
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Cosmowe, please think with me. I'm not making it complicated to annoy you. It is complicated to begin with. We make software for a living, so when I say something is not so simple, please trust me that it isn't. A lot of work goes into narrowing down functionality, so that things then work for you exactly as you would expect them to work.

Again you just mention 'lock layer', but I just explained how many different things that can mean. Just take Oaktown's list as an example. I'm sure it's a little different to what you had in mind. When I would implement a lock the way I currently see it, it would do something else again.

If you want to contribute to this thread, please make a short list of what 'Lock Layer', or 'Lock Anything' means to you.

Let's start from this:

When you lock a layer, you can not touch that layer anymore in any way. It just loops the current clip until you unlock and change it.

This means the following: You cannot trigger something else in that layer. Changing the layer's opacity via midi does *not* work, even if the shortcut was assigned before locking it. Nothing on the layer tab can be touched or changed. Changing the playback direction or anything on the clip level does *not* work, nothing on the clip level does. Changing the master speed *does* affect it, as does changing the global BPM. Effects applied on the composition *do* affect the output of the layer.

Is that what you have in mind?

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Cosmowe, please think with me. I'm not making it complicated to annoy you. It is complicated to begin with. We make software for a living, so when I say something is not so simple, please trust me that it isn't. A lot of work goes into narrowing down functionality, so that things then work for you exactly as you would expect them to work.
I was just confused why especially the "lock feature request" seems to be handled different compared to some other requests.

We, the Resolume Users, can make suggestions to you, the Resolume developers, what "could" maybe be a nice extension to Resolume depending on our needs. Moreover you have the power to decide which suggestions make sense and which not.
A tiny new feature can and mostly will cause a lot of work because it might has an effect to some other functions of Resolume. So somebody has to think about it very clearly if it make sense to implement.
But - Thats not me...I guess so far. :D

In my very first post in this tread I explained what went wrong on my job...and that any kind of lock feature that helps me to prevent such a situation will be nice.

I really really really totally trust the sense of you Resolume guys to see the core of a problem we have and the ability to recognize all the additional following problems when implementing a new feature for keeping the software easy and stable. You all did an amazing job in the last years....and I am sure you will do it in the future too.

So...In my first post especially I had a problem with a miss-click. So what do "I" want? I do not want a countdown clip to stop playing back via a kind of lock feature. That's it. ;) I don't know what extra wishes other users may have.

Image Joris :)

greetings
cosmowe
Last edited by cosmowe on Fri Jan 16, 2015 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

RycoDePsyco
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by RycoDePsyco »

Parameter "Remember"!

Individual or all parameters can be memorized or saved, but anytime accessible for modifications.
With a click or a keystroke is switched either on Resolume standard back, or pinned or saved switched back.
As with a restart of Resolume.

Parameter "Merken"!

Einzelne oder alle Parameter können gemerkt oder gespeichert werden, aber jederzeit verändert werden.
Mit einem Klick oder ein Tastendruck, wird entweder auf Resolume Standard zurück geschalten,
oder auf gemerkt oder gespeichert zurück geschaltet.
Wie bei einem Neustart von Resolume.

chenthemagician

Post by chenthemagician »

Greetings all,

Ok lets take this a different route, in practicality, if using MIDI/OSC in the Layer mode and not Deck, the best bet for a "lock", is that akin to what lighting designers/directors use in regards to how the faders can be kept in view while paging thru a fader banks.

For the most part, I believe a layer from a deck, can be "kept" while switching between decks, this will allow then for purposes of a DJ FACE for instance(sponsors/dj name) for images in auto pilot will not change from its sequence between decks or special clips/effects are kept throughout decks without putting it in all of them, what happens should be that it should disable the corresponding layer, in a non-destructive manner so as the layer in that deck remains intact is "underneath" the "locked" or kept layer.

This allows you now to utilize your midi/osc controllers more effectively. So that you can keep your decks smaller
and more variety between them.

This would be my own request...as per our previous discussion :D Joris
HP Omen
8 GB RAM
i7 7th gen 2.8 GHz
Win 10 Home
Nvidia 1050 GTX

Asus G751J - 860M
i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

Livid OHM RGB Controller

Creating Solutions, Tailored to your needs!

Repping from the 876 - Jamaica "Out of Many, One People"

Digi

Post by Digi »

Bump this old thread because people like myself are still looking for a solution.

I found this by googling info and reading the manuals where it said the solution to "locking" a clip was to disable other clips from column trigger. The wording is miss-leading but it's not the first time I've encounter this problem with the manual.

The issue is avoiding the release of a triggered clip that is CRITICAL to the show by miss clicking anywhere on the same layer.

That's pretty much what's being asked. Locking other layer specific features such as opacity is not a detrimental problem. Un-triggering a critical clip that you depend on is very important problem that could use a solution. I've looked around and haven't seen any fix or feature added for this problem yet but correct me if I'm wrong.
I understand that coding solutions is not always easy. But understanding the primary problem here isn't.

TechNinja
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by TechNinja »

chenthemagician wrote:Greetings all,

Ok lets take this a different route, in practicality, if using MIDI/OSC in the Layer mode and not Deck, the best bet for a "lock", is that akin to what lighting designers/directors use in regards to how the faders can be kept in view while paging thru a fader banks.

For the most part, I believe a layer from a deck, can be "kept" while switching between decks, this will allow then for purposes of a DJ FACE for instance(sponsors/dj name) for images in auto pilot will not change from its sequence between decks or special clips/effects are kept throughout decks without putting it in all of them, what happens should be that it should disable the corresponding layer, in a non-destructive manner so as the layer in that deck remains intact is "underneath" the "locked" or kept layer.

This allows you now to utilize your midi/osc controllers more effectively. So that you can keep your decks smaller
and more variety between them.

This would be my own request...as per our previous discussion :D Joris
Bump for Frankenstein thread, but I second Joris on this functionality! Anyone know if this is possible yet? :idea:

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

TechNinja wrote:
chenthemagician wrote:a layer from a deck, can be "kept" while switching between decks, this will allow then for purposes of a DJ FACE for instance(sponsors/dj name) for images in auto pilot will not change from its sequence between decks or special clips/effects are kept throughout decks without putting it in all of them, what happens should be that it should disable the corresponding layer, in a non-destructive manner so as the layer in that deck remains intact is "underneath" the "locked" or kept layer.
Bump for Frankenstein thread, but I second Joris on this functionality! Anyone know if this is possible yet? :idea:
I think chenthemagician's 'lock' idea sounds more like the Persistent Clips you can have in Resolume 6.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

chenthemagician

Post by chenthemagician »

lol yup Res 6 nailed it properly....yeah i was a big screaming baby when I realized it came with it....lol....
HP Omen
8 GB RAM
i7 7th gen 2.8 GHz
Win 10 Home
Nvidia 1050 GTX

Asus G751J - 860M
i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

Livid OHM RGB Controller

Creating Solutions, Tailored to your needs!

Repping from the 876 - Jamaica "Out of Many, One People"