16 to 24 bits resolution on DMX channels

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
cocopouf
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

16 to 24 bits resolution on DMX channels

Post by cocopouf »

Hey all.

I am running multiple media servers, we have Hippos, AI, Pandora, Arkaos, and Resolume, also some Axons, since we use DML- with server integrated, I like your dmx interface it work quite well on live situations, but I do have a problem, would it be a possibility to get all layer movement in 16bits or 24 bits even, I am talking about layer position, rotation, anchor, and even scaling, this would add 11 channels as fine channels, they could be integrated at the very end of the channel DMX implementation, so peoples who don't wish to have these additionnal higher resolutions, would only not have to patch them.

Thanks.

cocopouf

Re: 16 to 24 bits resolution on DMX channels

Post by cocopouf »

Also, keystone dmx would also be of a great help, we use DML much and this is an essential for digital lighting.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

16 bit midi is on the to-do list, but we're kind of wondering: do LDs really rotate and position clips that much via DMX?

We're kind of assuming that this would be done on the media server PC itself during setup, and DMX would be used to trigger the cues during showtime.

stgtech

Post by stgtech »

Having just come off a tour using Resolume I will say yes, us LD's would appreciate the 16 or 24bit control. In our instance we used Resolume to project video onto three screens which moved many times throughout the performance. The locations of the layers were adjusted on the light console at each venue and then the pallet on the console was updated. Only having 8bit control really became a hindrance as we were trying to fine tune the projections to the screens. Often, one dmx value would move the image 2-3 feet. Having higher bit control would be a huge improvement for Arena!

Aaron

synapse_gh
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by synapse_gh »

Aaron,

I'm curious - rather than updating a bunch of palettes in the lighting desk, couldn't you simply update the position of each video layer (or the composition as a whole) in the Arena GUI and keep your clip positions static? I'm asking because even 16-bit DMX control will, best case, still only be equal to the existing pixel-level position control in Arena itself.

Just as a personal thing, with both Arena and Hippo I've found the workflow fastest when I do almost all of my video configuration in the server and use the DMX commands primarily to trigger pre-configured cues.

...except, that is, for anything involving timed fades or changes, which will of course be addressed by the amazing timeline feature I'm hoping for in Resolume 4.1.2..?

;)

smalljoshua

Post by smalljoshua »

From my point of view, once I've got my clips into Resolume, I don't want to take my eyes off of the lighting desk. I like the way Chamsys handles Media servers from Multiple Vendors. When I have more than one Media Server on an event, I don't want to swap between the both of them and the desk when I'm programming integrated states.

For theatre, this is more important than live but both are valid (and frequent) uses of Resolume for me.

Josh

martino.cerati
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by martino.cerati »

+1

also add possibility to set value for any dmx channel.
i will create personality for my lighting desk to recall any clips on layer
with a single channel like a gobo.

example:

channel 1 set to layer 1 or to any single clips on first layer
set value 1-9 to clip 1, 10-19 to clip 2, 20-29 to clip 3 -----> to last 250-255 for last clip.

think it can be a priority for DMX use.

mikeholm

Post by mikeholm »

goto10 wrote:16 bit midi is on the to-do list, but we're kind of wondering: do LDs really rotate and position clips that much via DMX?

We're kind of assuming that this would be done on the media server PC itself during setup, and DMX would be used to trigger the cues during showtime.
I wrote you a email a year or two ago, addressing the exact same problem. And I got the same answer.

Every LD has their own workflow and ways of making things work. I personally like to put the clips in the mediaserver and then do the rest from the desk.
When you as a programmer are working with a light designer, it is kind of a bummer, having to excuse yourself for a couple of minutes, because you have to walk to the stage and make minor changes in Resolume.

As a user of your great software, I kindly request you to add the tools for LD's, and make it a even easier choice. You have a killer product on your hands, but to make it a product of choice, and not a compromise because of cost, etc., you have to add more than 8 bit resolution on DMX control, and because of the increased number of DMX addresses, you might as well open up for control via more than one artnet universe.

And while you're at making it the best mediaserver around for LD's, why not add support for CITP-thumbnails.

Hope you understand that it is a must for a lot of LD's. I know a lot of guys, who won't touch Resolume, because of the limited DMX control.

Looking forward to see what you guys come up with in the future..

Mike

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Thanks for the feedback, and clear explanation of a user case in which using the Res interface is not an option. We come from a video operator background, so sometimes it's hard to judge how something will be used in the field.

You'll be glad to know that Resolume 5 will have big improvements when it comes to DMX, including multiple Art-Net universes and more channels per parameter.

BTW, are you using the provided fixture much, or do you make your own mappings?

LXConcepts
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by LXConcepts »

If you're running artnet anyways, why are you not running remote access software on your resolume (or other ) servers?

I'm primarily a ld and haven't needed to adjust anything via dmx on a server except which cues are firing thanks to teamviewer/vnc. It runs just fine on my laptop which is always at FOH anyways.

Way more control, way less programming...
Lighting and media server design