Persistent Layers.

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
4eyes
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Persistent Layers.

Post by 4eyes »

Hey all,

Love the software and loved slamming a huge music festival last night with it.

While VJing however I thought of something that would be of incredible help to my setup. The ability to have persistent layers, that do not change when you switch decks. The reason I need this personally, is because I have a huuuuuuuuuuuuge amount of content in order to VJ for the 8-10 hours these festival shows last. BUT I also have people always coming up randomly and throwing me new pieces of content for whatever DJ is going on next.
As a result, I am forced to make giant decks because I need to access the DJ logos at any time and it isn't practical for me to copy that content to multiple decks in the middle of a show. Having one or two layers at the top of my composition that stay the same with all the logos and artists content while I switch decks on all the rest would be super sweet.

Let me know if this idea has been shot down already :P Didn't see much in the search.

Thanks!

vj granda

Re: Persistent Layers.

Post by vj granda »

Hello,

I agree wiyh you...

+ 1

And yes, that had been talked before...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9450

4eyes

Post by 4eyes »

Word, hopefully Resolume 5 then.

hive8
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by hive8 »

+1 too, if you live VJ you always get stuff thrown at you at the last minute, logos, clips and so on i would love that feature.
HIVE 8 | Quantum Laser | http://www.hive8.com

4eyes

Post by 4eyes »

Decimated another huge music festival last night.

And again, unfortunately had to keep everything together in one deck due to random people showing up with content.

I want it I want it! :mrgreen:

hive8

Post by hive8 »

Yes happened to me too on SAT, this time for John Digweed... Also i have to find a way to play DVDs inside of resolume. Is there something like a Syphon DVD player...

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

unfortunately had to keep everything together in one deck due to random people showing up with content.
Besides the usefullness of a persistent layer, don't forget this is mostly a client management issue.

It took me a while before I had the guts to say no to requests like this, but these days we explicitly state that content supplied later than 24 hours before the show cannot be processed. And lo and behold, we actually get more and better clients because this makes for better service and better shows.

During showtime, I don't have time to copy and convert any content, I am doing a show. Random people showing up is only an issue if you let it become an issue.

hive8

Post by hive8 »

True that, i did it this weekend to a bigger artist... kkk. It actually states in the technical rider that content has to be sent 24 hours before... But they still come.

mosu
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by mosu »

+1

I think that is nice to have this feature!!!

I always duplicate the same clips in the same place in different decks to make me work more efficiently without switching decks back and forth to find some clips that I use the most, something like icon, logo, title card, etc. And I think that may be a bit waste of system's memories.

4eyes

Post by 4eyes »

Joris wrote:
unfortunately had to keep everything together in one deck due to random people showing up with content.
Besides the usefullness of a persistent layer, don't forget this is mostly a client management issue.
It's been about 5 years, I'm gonna bump this back from the grave.

These days my need for persistent decks is not so much about random clients, but the way I use decks.
I have 8 column decks with 8 layers each of content. Above that I have three layers of masks to mult/difference, effects clips, logos, etc.

Every time I want to build out a new effect or mask clip I have to manually update my nearly 100 decks of content (which continues to grow). I've been looking into using Processing or Touchdesigner to manually edit the .avc file to accomplish this since the file is just XML. It'd be nice however if the ability to copy layers from a master deck into all other decks was a built right in.

Cheers!