New build 2U Rack PC

Bro, does your rig even lift?
TehRobot
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

New build 2U Rack PC

Post by TehRobot »

Hi guys,

I have just been building a new pc to run resolume but have to fit it into a 2U rack case.

I have managed to fit the following comfortably into the case but wanting to know if it is worth the extra money to go to an M.2 hard drive instead of the standard sata ssd

Intel Kaby Lake i7 7700K 4.2Ghz
Asus Strix Z270H
G.Skill 16GB (2x 8gb) DDR4 2800MHZ
EVGA 750 G2 750W
Cooler Master Gemnii M4 Super Low Profile Cooler
Asus Rog Strix GTX1070 8gb

We are currently looking at a "Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 (2280),NVMe SSD, R/W(Max) 3,500MB/s/2100MB/s ,440K/360K IOPS" but this is almost twice the price of a "Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E500BW 500GB, 3D V-NAND, SATA III 6GB/s, R/W(Max) 540MB/s/520MB/s, 98K/90K IOPS, 2.5". 7mm," obviously it is much much faster but will we notice it in resolume or is there a middle ground there where I should be looking.

All of this pc is currently in this case http://procase.co.nz/IPC/2U/RK266LB/RK266LB.html have had to make a mount for the end of the graphics card and cut some holes for the cpu fan to vent along with moving the internal fan rail closer to the front of the case losing one of the 4 internal fans.

Thanks in advance.

TehRobot

Re: New build 2U Rack PC

Post by TehRobot »

Pictures in case anyone was interested
Attachments
IMG_4903.JPG
IMG_4902.JPG
IMG_4900.JPG
IMG_4894.JPG

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Looks good.
What PCIe riser are you using? Have you had that riser fail before?

The 960 is great! It does get pretty warm though (as does most m.2 drives) as long as you have case ventilation you should be good.

What fans are you using?

Warspite
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Warspite »

Looks great.
But i prefer 4U with reduced depth. Because every other my video rack hardware is also reduced depth. It is easier to work with all this in shallow depth rack. And saves weight and space. It fits full size mobo + 7 PCIe for you video Card and different video capture stuff.
I like iStar Usa cases like this one - D-400S3
http://www.istarusa.com/istarusa/produc ... H5lWFzNy60
Descent cooling, preinstalled dust filters, thick steel, aluminium front panel. Very solid.
You can install 5 2,5 inch SSD + M2 on oboard (1-3 ssd's - depends on motherboard)+PCIe to M2 cards into slots. So i dont think that you will be limited on storage.
Only limitation - max lenght of videocard, should avoid too long graphic adapters. But not a problem up to GTX 1080 - just be carefull and buy shorter version.

TehRobot

Post by TehRobot »

dinga wrote:Looks good.
What PCIe riser are you using? Have you had that riser fail before?

The 960 is great! It does get pretty warm though (as does most m.2 drives) as long as you have case ventilation you should be good.

What fans are you using?
Using the fans that came with the case thought I would see how they go before I invest in new ones.

PCIe riser is R024 PCI-E 16X RISER CARD W/RIBBON CABLE from http://www.procase.co.nz/IPC/Riser_Card ... _Cards.htm
Warspite wrote:Looks great.
But i prefer 4U with reduced depth. Because every other my video rack hardware is also reduced depth. It is easier to work with all this in shallow depth rack. And saves weight and space. It fits full size mobo + 7 PCIe for you video Card and different video capture stuff.
I like iStar Usa cases like this one - D-400S3
http://www.istarusa.com/istarusa/produc ... H5lWFzNy60
Descent cooling, preinstalled dust filters, thick steel, aluminium front panel. Very solid.
You can install 5 2,5 inch SSD + M2 on oboard (1-3 ssd's - depends on motherboard)+PCIe to M2 cards into slots. So i dont think that you will be limited on storage.
Only limitation - max lenght of videocard, should avoid too long graphic adapters. But not a problem up to GTX 1080 - just be carefull and buy shorter version.
We had no room for a 4U only had 3u available and was wasted being a 3U as would still need to rotate the card.

Both of the racks will have enough depth as full of amps etc

As for hard drive its not needed visuals will run off USB hard drive for every day stuff and when events or gigs need viusuals they will be copied onto the OS drive which is why I am asking M.2 or SSD?

proletariado

Post by proletariado »

Buy an M.2 ssd, they are much faster