Will this new rack mount cpu build handle this multitude of tasks? (Dual GTX 1080 ti's, 6 core i7 pushing 6-7 outputs)

Bro, does your rig even lift?
behmer
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Will this new rack mount cpu build handle this multitude of tasks? (Dual GTX 1080 ti's, 6 core i7 pushing 6-7 outputs)

Post by behmer »

First of all, I'm just very happy to be here. Being on this forum marks a very special time for our project called The Kazbah(http://www.kazbah.org). It's been years in the making to finally be mapping our structure/stage out at the Burning Man festival and so far all the stars are lining up big for this. Lots of great VJ crews and generative content creators already jumping in with us and designing this computer rig has been pretty exciting as well!

Here are specs:
case: Chenbro 4U Rack Mount (RM42300-F2)
mobo: Asus X99-PRO/USB 3.1
cpu: Intel Boxed Core i7-6850K (Standard clock for desert)
cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H80i v2 Liquid
gpu: Dual ZOTAC 11GB GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme (ZT-P10810F-10P)
mem: 32GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz
ssd: 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Samsung 960 EVO Series (MZ-V6E1T0BW)
storage: Crucial MX300 1TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive

Outputs:
4 Epson 12k Laser projectors (L1505U) (giving them 1080p 60 this year and 4k in future)
2-3 21" 1080p 60 Asus control monitors

Sidenote:
I should mention here that resolume is very new to me but the good news, I'm not the op/vj/projectionist here. I am however hopeful for some input here about running more out of this single computer than just resolume.

Here are the main tasks:
The most important task of this rig is allowing the VJs to throw anything they want at these 6-7 outputs (4 Epson EL 1505's (1080p 60)+ 2 or 3 Control Monitors(1080p 60)

What I propose is we also have this computer (Placed front of house with laser/lighting/projection/sound guys) recording all the live sets from the stage straight to ableton live from the main mixer. This same feed will also be giving some queues straight to resolume as well. Will that be an issue recording that audio and also using the feed for resolume along with some generative waveform stuff that's happening?

Also, I'm hoping that I can have 5 different camera feeds running into this computer as well and recording. Again, is it ok if those cameras are recording as well along with possibly tapping those same feeds in real time into resolume for some potential fun with real time layering of those feeds?

Finally, this is outside of resolume but do you guys have any experience with worthy windows based DMX control software? Maybe its a pipe dream but if worth it we could add a 7th output to give our lighting guy a touchscreen monitor/software interface to run all the lights too. I also think resolume has some DMX lighting stuff from what i remember so again, having all plugged into this single computer would be great.

I think that's about it for now.

Also, if any of you artists out there wanna somehow get involved let me know ASAP! The pyramid is 48' tall this year with all 4 faces mapped. We will also be taking this on the road some in 2017 and building a dream team along the whole path. Would be honored to somehow have this be a canvas for some of yall and this community.

Anyway, thanks for the read and input if you made it this far!

-Sean and the Kazbah familia

Digitrevx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Will this new rack mount cpu build handle this multitude of tasks? (Dual GTX 1080 ti's, 6 core i7 pushing 6-7 outpu

Post by Digitrevx »

I love rack mount pc's.
For resolume some things I've learn is currently you don't need a lot of ram.
EVGA is a better gpu company offering better support for their products then anyone.
Using a 2nd card, well there is this: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14335
TL;DR 2 gpu's are not the best solution right now. ><
From what I understand X99 runs on a slower dmi so the super fast 960 pro wont read as fast as it could. Not the end of the world but just know your paying money for speed your not getting.

X299 will run at dmi 3.0 but will cost a lot since it's new stuff. Not really sure about amd options. I'm a bit nervous to use their products until it has time to mature.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Will this new rack mount cpu build handle this multitude of tasks? (Dual GTX 1080 ti's, 6 core i7 pushing 6-7 outpu

Post by Arvol »

If you're needing a lot of output ports here are a few options:

Not 4k ready, but plenty of outputs:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro ... ku=1186263

4k ready:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro ... sku=892446

I would still have a GTX 10 series as your rendering card.

Keep in mind, your GTX 1080ti can support an overall resolution of 7680x4320 @60Hz :o :o
You could run that through a datapath for your multi-out breakout options and not even use a secondary card.
Do you need more than 7680x4320 for your output palate?

Are you planning on sending out the resolume comp file and screen output file in advance for guest VJ's to build their show in advance? A lot of people prefer to run shows off their own machine.

Project looks really cool.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Sounds like a cool project and a nice setup!

A few notes/questions:
- remember that running everything from one computer means that if it fails, everything stops!
- When it comes to lighting, Resolume wll be the right sofware if you're dealing with RGB pixel strips and such but not if you need to control moving light and/or conventional lights.
- I would upgrade from the Asus X99-PRO/USB 3.1 to the Asus X99-Deluxe to have Thunderbolt 3.
- Since you're going to be working in 1080p60 this year, I would skip the 2nd 1080ti and buy a Datapath FX4 instead.
- How are you getting the signal to your projectors? Since you're using Epson projectors I would recommend going with HDBaseT.
- To recording your 5 camera inputs, I would use external SSD recorders. If you want to record directly on your computer, plan on having 1 dedicated SSD drive per camera and splitting your SDI signal in two path (1 to resolume and 1 to recorder).
- The VJ's shouldn't be able to send content to your control monitors but maybe I'm not understanding correctly.
- Are you located in the SF Bay Area?

behmer
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by behmer »

Digitrevx wrote:I love rack mount pc's.
For resolume some things I've learn is currently you don't need a lot of ram.
EVGA is a better gpu company offering better support for their products then anyone.
Using a 2nd card, well there is this: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14335
TL;DR 2 gpu's are not the best solution right now. ><
From what I understand X99 runs on a slower dmi so the super fast 960 pro won't read as fast as it could. Not the end of the world but just know your paying money for speed your not getting.

X299 will run at dmi 3.0 but will cost a lot since it's new stuff. Not really sure about amd options. I'm a bit nervous to use their products until it has time to mature.
I gotta thank you. I had my reservations about the X299 since there was lots of talk on the mainboards being rushed and I wanted something proven and stable for this. Apparently there were complaints about temps running high which scared me.

Well your post here about the slower 2.0 DMI made take another look cause that's pretty lame. Turns out the high temps and resulting issues and throttling we're only in high clock speeds among circles that were just pushing all the limits.

All said, I took the plunge to make sure this thing is future proof!

Now waiting on the following :)

ASUS Prime X299 -Deluxe
Intel Core i7-7800X 6-Core

Extremely stoked and will do my best to behave and not dabble any any overclocking till after our big event :) I am however running watercooling to the CPU on a closed loop Corsair Hydro H80i v2

So Thank You Sir

dinga wrote:If you're needing a lot of output ports here are a few options:

Not 4k ready, but plenty of outputs:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro ... ku=1186263

4k ready:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro ... sku=892446

I would still have a GTX 10 series as your rendering card.

Keep in mind, your GTX 1080ti can support an overall resolution of 7680x4320 @60Hz :o :o
You could run that through a datapath for your multi-out breakout options and not even use a secondary card.
Do you need more than 7680x4320 for your output palate?

Are you planning on sending out the resolume comp file and screen output file in advance for guest VJ's to build their show in advance? A lot of people prefer to run shows off their own machine.

Project looks really cool.
Thanks for recs. As for GPUs I should have mentioned that throughout the year when we're not firing up projectors at events this computer will be our design workhorse safely at my home office. I actually wish Nvidia Quadro cards played a little nicer with Resolume or I would have gone that route. I'll be doing all our CAD and CAM design on this rig, conceptual renderings, animations, 4k video edits, everything adobe CC, Fusion 360 and hopefully some tricky multi SLR live feed stuff of remote VJ sessions an a scale model of the pyramid I built in my house along with some of the friends DJing. Boiler Room style but supporting visual artists and crews along with whatever djs we have in town for some fun.

That all almost loops back into your final question.. Yes, we will have a comp file and output set and available in advance for any creators trying to work with us to get their work out there. We are building the full pyramid here in the SF Bay Area and setting up the exact positioning and lighting it all up in 14 days.

Oaktown wrote:Sounds like a cool project and a nice setup!

A few notes/questions:
- remember that running everything from one computer means that if it fails, everything stops!
- When it comes to lighting, Resolume wll be the right sofware if you're dealing with RGB pixel strips and such but not if you need to control moving light and/or conventional lights.
- I would upgrade from the Asus X99-PRO/USB 3.1 to the Asus X99-Deluxe to have Thunderbolt 3.
- Since you're going to be working in 1080p60 this year, I would skip the 2nd 1080ti and buy a Datapath FX4 instead.
- How are you getting the signal to your projectors? Since you're using Epson projectors I would recommend going with HDBaseT.
- To recording your 5 camera inputs, I would use external SSD recorders. If you want to record directly on your computer, plan on having 1 dedicated SSD drive per camera and splitting your SDI signal in two path (1 to resolume and 1 to recorder).
- The VJ's shouldn't be able to send content to your control monitors but maybe I'm not understanding correctly.
- Are you located in the SF Bay Area?

I feel ya about putting all eggs in one basket. Thanks for info on running the RGB lights. All of our LED pars are in fact stationary so that could be perfect. Our lights are RGBAW + UV 6in1 units placed about the stage area. Wonder if that's all good still within Resolume?

As for the ASUS. As shown above, I switched it all up to X299 now :)
I was looking at those Datapath FX4 but for now till we get some more traction behind this project we will likely only get a small handfull big activations per year where all the projectors come out and the full pyramid. Hope to see it grow tho!

We're sending our signal with shielded CAT6 runs. Each projector getting its own pair.

Thanks for input on camera stuff.

Yes we are located in SF! Are you? Would be stoked to meet more interested artists out here in this space!

Thanks for input guys

Check this out,

Projector layout: https://sketchfab.com/models/5e572da574 ... f28ace93a8

Enclosure concept: https://sketchfab.com/models/3102dc1f8b ... 274d9bba8c
Last edited by behmer on Sat Jul 22, 2017 09:17, edited 1 time in total.

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

behmer wrote:
I gotta thank you. I had my reservations about the X299 since there was lots of talk on the mainboards being rushed and I wanted something proven and stable for this. Apparently there were complaints about temps running high which scared me.

Well your post here about the slower 2.0 DMI made take another look cause that's pretty lame. Turns out the high temps and resulting issues and throttling we're only in high clock speeds among circles that were just pushing all the limits.

All said, I took the plunge to make sure this thing is future proof!

Now waiting on the following :)
Ahh yeah that is quite true about the heat of 299 chips. This will sound geeky but I'm not sure how into pc building you are, there the de-lidding option which is quite impactfull! My little travel tower I've been experimenting with outside for events is running de-lidded just to give it the most headroom I can in case.

But even stock it should behave under the AIO and stock speed like you said. :)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

As a head's up, the Intel Core i7-7800X 6-Core only has 28 PCIe lanes so you won't be able to run your two GPUs at x16 but x16/x8 instead.

The Intel Core i9-7900X 10-Core has 44 PCIe lanes and would allow you to run your two cards at x16/x16

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

Oaktown wrote:As a head's up, the Intel Core i7-7800X 6-Core only has 28 PCIe lanes so you won't be able to run your two GPUs at x16 but x16/x8 instead.

The Intel Core i9-7900X 10-Core has 44 PCIe lanes and would allow you to run your two cards at x16/x16
I read that blender and other programs, between 16x - 8x it makes little to no difference once the instruction is stored in vram to render the frame. Resolume also doesn't seem to care much if at all what the 2nd card runs at since it's only passing on texture data.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Copy that but with 4 lames left, it just doesn't leave a lot of headroom if you want to use other pcie cards.

My feeling is that you're spending a lot of money on your new rig so it might be good to build it to be a powerhouse. 44 pcie lanes would allow you to run a third GPU for physics if necessary.