Chaos Mode for Resolume Avenue and Arena 6 - Max patch

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Chaos Mode for Resolume Avenue and Arena 6 - Max patch

Post by gpvillamil »

I've made a little Max/MSP patch that implements a kind of chaos mode for Resolume Avenue, using OpenSoundControl.

[update] Version 2.0 works with Resolume 6

[edit] Uploaded version 0.6, supports saving and loading presets even when using the runtime. Delete the cop_presets.json file to reset, it will prompt you to save the preset file when you close the patch. Put it in the same folder as the patch.

[edit] Uploaded version 0.7, has tap tempo support (mapped to Tab key) and OSCI settings are persistent. Make sure to download most recent Max runtime to use. Important note: the tap tempo feature has a guard time built in to avoid unintended changes. If it does not seem to be changing, wait a couple of seconds and then tap in the tempo, at least 3 taps. Tapping resynchronizes the beat clock.

[edit] Uploaded experimental version 0.7.1, allows you to switch OSC bundles on and off. Switching bundles off should allow using Copilot in parallel with TouchOSC. Make sure the corresponding switch in Resolume preferences is turned off as well. If you don't know what this is about just use 0.7 for now.

Here are instructions for installation and use:

1) Download the zip file attached to this post and unzip it.
2) If you don't already have Max/MSP, get and install the runtime from here: http://cycling74.com/downloads

[edit] Replaced the OpenSoundControl external with the correct version for Intel Macs. PC version should still work as-is.

Then to use the patch:

1) Open Resolume Avenue, and make sure that OSC is enabled in preferences, the 'bundle' checkbox is on, and the port is 7000
2) Open the file copilot.0.5.maxpat
3) You should see the user interface, like so:
Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 2.21.39 PM.png
Starting from the top left, you find BPM control. Here you can turn CoPilot on and off, and set a BPM. If the "sync BPM" box is checked, then CoPilot will control the Resolume BPM as well. You can test OSC communications by enabling "sync BPM", putting the mouse cursor in the BPM box and dragging up and down. You should see the BPM change in Resolume.

Below that are the presets. You can save and recall up to 4 states of the program. By default, saved state 1 is loaded when the patch opens. If you save the patch from the file menu, then the saved states will be saved for the next time you use CoPilot. (Not sure how it will work with the runtime version.)

Further down, the OSC control section lets you specify the IP address and port to use for OpenSoundControl. By default, it is set to 'localhost' (127.0.0.1) for when the patch and Resolume are on the same computer, and the port is set to 7000, the Resolume default. You can change both of these - most useful if you run CoPilot on a separate computer to the one where you run Resolume.

Finally, the heart of the patch is the layer control section. You can control up to 8 layers.

From left to right, enter the # of the layer you want to control.

Then comes the mode menu. There are four modes:

1) Off: chaos mode disabled
2) Sequence: each clip in the layer will be activated in sequence
3) Drunken: clips will be activated using a "drunken walk", randomly moving away from the current clip (see "Step" value later)
4) Random: clips will be activated randomly

Moving along, you tell the patch how many clips you have in that layer, using the "# clips" parameter.

Next, you specify how often you want clips to be triggered, in beats, using the "beat int" parameter. So for example, entering 4 means that a clip on that layer will be triggered every 4 beats.

Finally, if you are using the "drunken" mode, you can specify the maximum size of the steps away from the current clip. Negative numbers mean that there will *always* be a change - ie. the drunk will always wander away. The step size is one more than the maximum step that will be taken (it's a Max thing), so -1 won't do anything, but -2 is sensible (it means that on every beat event, the clip to the left or right of the current clip will be triggered).

Once you've set up your layers and such, store it in one of the presets, and then save the patch (File/Save).

At this point, if the on/off toggle is on, and you have clips loaded, you should see them being triggered. "Sequence" mode is good for testing, since you should see each clip being triggered in order, up to the max # of clips in the layer (that you set). If something doesn't seem to be working, try turning the patch on and off with the "on/off" toggle on the top left, that usually resets everything.

If you have Max/MSP, please feel free to mess around and improve the patch, and share the improvements!
Attachments
Copilot 2.0.zip
support Resolume 6
(54.51 KiB) Downloaded 790 times
Copilot 0.7.1.zip
experimental, added OSC bundles on/off switch
(46.54 KiB) Downloaded 2120 times
Last edited by gpvillamil on Tue Mar 31, 2020 00:09, edited 10 times in total.

SystemD
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Chaos Mode for Resolume Avenue - Max patch

Post by SystemD »

bravo,
bravo,
bravo

8-) 8-) 8-)

VJair

Post by VJair »

nice work, but my only fear is that it will see more people just leaving thier machines to randomly trigger clips and reducing the quality of shows. hopefully that wont happen too much ( although i have seen it hapen plenty of times )

nothing worse than a bunch of randomly triggered clips that slowly drifts out of time because the vj has walked off and left it. doesnt do the rep of vjs any good either realy - leaves promoters thinking " i can just ress play and walk off, why should i hire a vj"

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil »

VJair wrote:nice work, but my only fear is that it will see more people just leaving thier machines to randomly trigger clips and reducing the quality of shows. hopefully that wont happen too much ( although i have seen it hapen plenty of times )...
Oh, I hear you. That's why it's called Copilot and not Autopilot :) . The idea is that you can set up patterns of clips and let the program run them, while you do something on top of them. Kind of like a looper in music, you can build more and more complex patterns over time.

VJair

Post by VJair »

just to be clear though, i do have a lot of respect for anyone that goes out of thier way to do something like this and then is good enough to make it available to the community :) i suppose like anything, if properly used it will be a great addition and if abused will end up being a not so great addition.

i shall have a play with it and pass some feedback your way :)

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

Works great on Mac and PC. It was very usefull for us today to help reproduce (and solve) this: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4678

proglime
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by proglime »

bravo!
powerful post!

:D

Fordster
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Fordster »

Just started playing with this - It's an excellent addition as a "copilot"!

Is there any way the patch can slave to the tempo of Resolume? Now the tempo sync is far tighter in 3.1.3, it would be great to be able to pass this to the chaos mode so everything is in sync.

Thanks for a great patch!

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil »

Unfortunately, there is no way to get tempo from Resolume to the patch (or to anything else).

However, you can control the Resolume tempo from the patch, it does it via OSC so it is dead accurate.
Fordster wrote:Just started playing with this - It's an excellent addition as a "copilot"!

Is there any way the patch can slave to the tempo of Resolume? Now the tempo sync is far tighter in 3.1.3, it would be great to be able to pass this to the chaos mode so everything is in sync.

Thanks for a great patch!

Fordster
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Fordster »

Thanks for the speedy reply! I understand what you're saying - I've used the tempo control from the patch and it works fine. However, when we've been demo-ing resolume, we've found that the tap tempo and sync buttons ar really necessary, as they keep us in time with the music.

If it isn't too much work, is it possible to add these to the patch? - It would be real handy to have the tap tempo and sync buttons on the patch so resolume could be kept in sync with a live source.

Thanks again for an excellent plug-in!