AKAI APC40: Bome midi translator vs. Midi pipe

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
daxx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

AKAI APC40: Bome midi translator vs. Midi pipe

Post by daxx »

Hi, I recently bought an AKAIAPC 40 to use with resolume avenue.

If you want to configure it in a descent way (so you get feedback effects, knobcolours work, ledlights work,...) you need a midi translator.

Now I don't know anything about midi translators, so I went searching the net and found someone who is using Bome's midi translator (http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/) and has successfully configured it's APC. But the midi translator for mac costs 60 euro so I went looking for an alternative, and I found Midi Pipe (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10541).

Does anyone know what's the difference between them? Can I use midi pipe instead of Bome's midi translator? Some help please because I don't know anything about this :)

tnx!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: AKAI APC40: Bome midi translator vs. Midi pipe

Post by Joris »

Hey Daxx

AFAIK, in order to have feedback for MIDI devices like the Akai APC40, the application you're using it with needs to support MIDI out. Resolume Avenue at this time does not support this. So no amount of Midi Piping or Translating will currently enable this functionality in Resolume, as there is nothing to translate or pipe.

Maybe some clever Max programmers out there can program a workaround?

Joris

daxx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by daxx »

Hi Joris,

would this be possible via OSC?
I don't know anything about it, but I'm willing to learn :)

grtz

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

the bomes technique works by duplicating the data recieved at the input and sending it back to the output, ie - if it recieves a C3 note, it sends a C3 note back to the unit. i have read of a vjforums memeber doing exactly this ( he uses an APC40 with resolume and modul8 to get the buttons to light.

i havnt done this myself with an APC40, but havving used bomes in the past, i see no reason why it wouldnt work. bomes is basicly a programable software which can be made to react and send or convert data as required to certain midi or keyboard inputs.

Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Tschoepler »

a nice overview of hacks and tricks for the APC 40

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/06/1 ... handshake/
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████