What should I look for? (General Laptop/PC Vj'ing)

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Daniel
Team Resolume

What should I look for? (General Laptop/PC Vj'ing)

Post by Daniel »

Hello folks

I've been looking around the forums what I should look into for a Performance Laptop/PC but I only see people posting their setup and asking what is good and what isn't. My question is more focused where I need to look at.

I know SSD is a must have, but what about RAM, CPU etc etc? Does a double graphics card make a diffrence vs a single one? What are my priorities when I'm looking at a new rig?

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Re: What should I look for? (General Laptop/PC Vj'ing)

Post by cosmowe »

Study this thread...and all your questions are answered ;)

Resolume Benchmark

Greetings
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Daniel
Team Resolume

Post by Daniel »

Yeap, I'm blind, thx for the pointer.

Noticed your rig doing wel. Quite surprised by that... now I know what to look for.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Take a look at the link that Cosmowe gave you for sure.

Here is my $.02:

SSD is a must!

RAM won't make a huge difference since Resolume is a 32-bit software but it comes handy if you use your computer with other graphics software.

For a laptop, I would try to get one with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 7XXM or 8XXM GPU. Keep in mind that your GPU is probably your most important asset, etc... so buy the best you can afford.

If you were to build a desktop, a good motherboard & CPU is important but make sure your motherboard has multiple PCIE 3.0 16X lanes with enough physical space to use multiple graphics cards. It seems that the NVIDIA 780GTX is one the forum's favorite cards and you can get it with the ACX cooler and 6GB of VRAM for about $600 (http://amzn.com/B00K699CRW). You can also spend a lot more buying the NVIDIA Quadro but the 780GTX will probably handle everything you throw at it.

One of the things that often overlooked is your PSU. GPUs are pretty hungry for power so make sure you get a good PSU especially if you want to use multiple GPUs. 1200W can come handy pretty quickly.

Good luck!