10x 1024x768 output with 2x Nvidia nvs 810

Bro, does your rig even lift?
chefrany@gmail.com
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

10x 1024x768 output with 2x Nvidia nvs 810

Post by chefrany@gmail.com »

Hello I'm new on this forum so I could have this topic given the wrong title or I could have put him down on the wrong board, I will change it immediately if so.

My question is as follows
My goal is to build a system which is in itself enough strength to control 10 screens 1024x768 resolution. And then my question is, the NVS 810 graphics cards good for this?

My goal is to be able to play a video in a format 10240x768
with some effects over it without frame rate drop.

If you have a suggestion i would be glad to hear them :)

The system i build so far
1 be quiet Processor Koeler Dark Rock Advanced C1 AMD & Intel
1 Cooler Master Midi Tower Silencio 452 ATX (zwart)
1 be quiet Voeding Straight Power 10 CM 700W, Modulair
1 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2.5", 250GB
1 Microsoft Windows 10 Home EN 64bit OEM
1 Intel Skylake Core i7 6700K 4.00GHz 8MB
1 Asus ATX Moederbord Z170-A
2 Kingston 1x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz, CL15, HyperX Fury
2 PNY Videokaart PCI-e NVS 810 4GB 8xMini-DP > DP, Dual GPU

With best regards
Chefrany :)

p.s (Sorry for my bad English)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: 10x 1024x768 output with 2x Nvidia nvs 810

Post by Oaktown »

My goal is to be able to play a video in a format 10240x768
with some effects over it without frame rate drop.
Are you 10 outputs identical or all different?

I don't know that anyone on the forum has tested the NV810 yet so you might be the one to give us the answer to your question.

A lot has been written on this forum about 1 vs 2 or more cards but 1024x768 is not a huge load so it'll be interesting to know how it works for you.

Don't forget to report back!

On another note, your MB supports 32Gb/s M.2 x 4 so I would make my boot drive a Samsung 950 M.2 SSD (or something similar). With read and write speeds of 2,500 MB/s and 1,500 MB/s respectively, your computer will fell like it's on steroid compared to the 850 EVO. Then you can use your 850 EVO as a media disk.

chefrany@gmail.com

First of all thanks for the reply!
i hope i can gain some useful intel within this forum so that i can make a good system :)
Are you 10 outputs identical or all different?
Its one video with a resolution of 10240x768.
What i want to do is combining al 10 beamers in to one screen with NVIDIA MOSAIC TECHNOLOGY.
So that it will become one big seamless screen. Atleast that is the concept and one of the reason i want to go for those NVS 810 gpu's
I don't know that anyone on the forum has tested the NV810 yet so you might be the one to give us the answer to your question.
I would like to share my experience but before i buy this system i want to get some more intel and opinions about my setup. I know that the NVS810 gpu is not as strong as a 980, but will it be strong enough to get a good fps.
A lot has been written on this forum about 1 vs 2 or more cards but 1024x768 is not a huge load so it'll be interesting to know how it works for you.
I wont put them in SLI or something like that.
The reason why i want two NVS810 is because i want to have 10 outputs.
And each card is capable to output to 8 different screens.
so my thought about this is that i will put 5 beamers on each card.
This way the load would be evenly spread over the two cards, at least this is what i think.

But any suggestions about this subject is also more than welcome :)
Don't forget to report back!
If i am sure about the system and mainly the gpu's and i got it.
I will report back in details with a benchmark etc.
On another note, your MB supports 32Gb/s M.2 x 4 so I would make my boot drive a Samsung 950 M.2 SSD (or something similar). With read and write speeds of 2,500 MB/s and 1,500 MB/s respectively, your computer will fell like it's on steroid compared to the 850 EVO. Then you can use your 850 EVO as a media disk.
[/quote]
This is a good suggestion i did not think of it myself.
Also will it be a huge + for resolume? this M.2 SSD

If someone else has some suggestions about the system setup please share if you like :)

Dragonsoulj
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Dragonsoulj »

so my thought about this is that i will put 5 beamers on each card.
This way the load would be evenly spread over the two cards, at least this is what i think.
Sounds nice in theory but Resolume only uses the processing power of one graphics card. I hope further down the line they come up with a solution for distributing the load.

chefrany@gmail.com

First of all thanks for your reaction :)
Sounds nice in theory but Resolume only uses the processing power of one graphics card. I hope further down the line they come up with a solution for distributing the load.
Thanks for saying i did not knew that!
So if i want 10 outputs would it be a better idea to have one beefy GTX 980 or something with a NVS810?
The GTX 980 for the load and 2 outputs, and the NVS810 for the 8 outputs would this be a better solution in your opinion?

And another noob question: How can you choose which GPU in your system gets all the load from Resolume?

And again more suggestions from different perspectives are more than welcome :)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

How can you choose which GPU in your system gets all the load from Resolume?
In theory, by making sure your main desktop and interface are on the powerful card.

But....
The GTX 980 for the load and 2 outputs, and the NVS810 for the 8 outputs would this be a better solution in your opinion?
Interestingly enough, we have this exact same setup in the office for testing. Turns out that NVidia makes it very hard to let you access the 980 when the 810 is connected. It will be missing in NVidia's own control panel and won't be detected as an output.

We worked out kind of a crazy workaround, where you first have to disable all the outputs on the 810, then NVidia will let you choose the 980 as the main display, and then you can re-enable the 810 outputs to get all 11 outputs. The good news is that these 11 outputs will then run 10 times 1080p without too much effort.
I hope further down the line they come up with a solution for distributing the load.
"Distributing loads" sound good on paper, when thinking from a human point of view. The only thing better than one powerful card has to be two powerful cards, right? From the computer's point of view, forcing the computer to split the load and it then having to work out which GPU has to do what, then copy the pixels back and forth via PCI lanes and then combine them back together, is actually way more demanding than keeping everything on a single card.

In the end, Resolume is mostly just pushing simple textured quads around, which a single powerful card is more than capable of. 10x1024x768 is a breeze for even an average card. The hard part is setting up enough outputs to push the pixels out of.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

In the end, Resolume is mostly just pushing simple textured quads around, which a single powerful card is more than capable of. 10x1024x768 is a breeze for even an average card. The hard part is setting up enough outputs to push the pixels out of.
You can fit 1024x768 16 times and 1920x1080 4 times in a 4K output so that's why I think using external video controllers/splitters is the only way to go!

Dragonsoulj
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Dragonsoulj »

"Distributing loads" sound good on paper, when thinking from a human point of view. The only thing better than one powerful card has to be two powerful cards, right? From the computer's point of view, forcing the computer to split the load and it then having to work out which GPU has to do what, then copy the pixels back and forth via PCI lanes and then combine them back together, is actually way more demanding than keeping everything on a single card.

I guess that's where FFGL and Spout come in handy. You should be able to generate content on the other cards and pass the final textures back to Resolume running on the main card.

Ladin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Ladin »

Hi Joris,
at another thread you wrote, that NVS 810 isn´t too powerful card. Have you already benchmarked it? I´m thinking about picklocking my treasure chest and buying this card..

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

The NVS 810 is a digital signage card so it's not going to be as powerful as a GTX980 or a GTX970 for instance.

I'd love to see comparative benchmark results between the NVS810 and GTX980/970, but I would personally get two GTX980 (preferred but a bit more expensive) or GTX970 (same price point for two cards as one NVS810) over one NVS810 any day and I have no doubt even though there'll be a performance hit with the second card it'll still perform better than one NVS810.

Both cards have 4GB of VRAM but the focus of the NVS is on leveraging the NVIDIA® Mosaic and NVIDIA Warp & Blend technologies (which will be useless if you use Arena) for signage applications whereas the GTX980/970 are focused on rendering speed and quality.

Here are a few numbers to illustrate what I'm talking about:
  • NVS810:
    • Average Price: $650
      Maximum outputs: 8
      Memory Interface: DDR3
      Base Clock (MHz): Info not available
      Memory Size 4 GB (2GB per GPU)
      Memory Interface: 128-bit (64-bit per GPU)
      CUDA cores: 1024 (512 cores per GPU)
      Memory Bandwidth: 28.8 GB/s
    GTX980:
    • Average Price: $480
      Maximum outputs: 4
      Memory Interface: DDR5
      Base Clock (MHz): 1050
      Memory Size: 4 GB
      Memory Interface: 256-bit
      CUDA cores: 2048
      Memory Bandwidth: 224 GB/s
    GTX970:
    • Average Price: $300
      Maximum outputs: 4
      Memory Interface: DDR5
      Base Clock (MHz): 1126
      Memory Size: 4 GB
      Memory Interface: 256-bit
      CUDA cores: 1664
      Memory Bandwidth: 224 GB/s
The NVS810 will work great for small resolutions such 1024x768 or 720p but if you're trying to push some 1080p or larger resolutions out of Resolume you will probably be disappointed!