Video Router and resources

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
manymanyhaha
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Video Router and resources

Post by manymanyhaha »

What resources is the video router using that causes adding many of them to make Resolume sluggish? The more video routers used, the longer it takes for changes to occur. If I add enough of them, Resolume almost becomes impossible to work in.

But here's the thing: CPU is less than 20%. GPU and RAM are high but not any higher than what was being used before. I'm just trying to see if I can find the bottleneck and do something about it.
live stream of music catalog to Resolume youtube.com/@manymanyhaha/live

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Video Router and resources

Post by Zoltán »

Could you share the composition?

Are you using midi shortcuts to change things?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

manymanyhaha

Post by manymanyhaha »

Yes, using midi CC to move forward to the next Video Router on 10 layers that have 35 VRs apiece.

Midi CC is also triggering a Play Random Clip on four layers and triggering 48 particular clips over 2 layers.

And would like to add more VRs and use midi CC on six other layers.

I was using maybe 200 Video Routers, it wasn't sluggish. But I increased that to over 350 or so in a moment of inspiration and I love what I did but now it is really difficult to do anything. The sluggishness is almost impossible to work around.

We REALLY REALLY need layer locks on video routers btw.

Will be back with my Resolume server later, can temporarily share the comp then.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Could you please send us the Resolume log file via the feedback tab in preferences?
Thanks!
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

manymanyhaha

Post by manymanyhaha »

Sent

Comp file too big. Need to share via third party hosting

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Too big to attach sounds like a huge composition
How many columns?

What do you mean with "Video Router on 10 layers that have 35 VRs apiece".
35 effects per router?

manymanyhaha

Post by manymanyhaha »

The full quote is: "Yes, using midi CC to move forward to the next Video Router on 10 layers that have 35 VRs apiece."

So not sure how to unpack that further but that means in total, there are 350 Video Routers on those 10 layers.

Columns: Four layers have clips and one of the layers has clips all the way to Column 1422. But every column isn't being used, there are a lot of empty clips between 1 and 1422. At least half are empty. Since I started this Composition last year, I've moved a lot of clips around, deleted quite a few etc. I just haven't cleaned it up, because of the sluggishness. It can take up to a minute or more to paste a clip into a cell. Is there a way to automatically consolidate? If I consolidated to actual clips being used, I could probably get the number of columns down to 500, maybe? Would that help?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

ah, Video Routers.

10 layers with 1400 columns is 14k clip slots. That's a lot and likely part of the issue you see.
A smaller deck would perform better.

manymanyhaha

Post by manymanyhaha »

I guess I'm not being very clear.

I'm using about 355 Video Routers, 350 of which are on 10 layers at 35 apiece.

I have video clips on 4 layers that are sparsely populated. It isn't 1400 x 10. It is probably 1750 video clips across those four layers. But that is neither here nor there. I have not changed the amount of video clips.

With the exact same amount of video clips and layers, I had about 210 Video Routers over 6 layers. It was working fine. I increased that to 350 Viideo Routers over 10 layers. When I did that, the composition became unworkable, even though CPU/GPU/Ram\SSD usage did not increase measurably.

So my original question still remains: What resources are the Video Routers using? Why would increasing Video Routers from 210 over 6 layers to 350 over 10 layers turn a composition from working fine to unworkable, even though there is no measurable increase in CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD usage and no increase in number of video clips or columns?

Edit: Probably would help if you saw the Composition, you will see it is not 14k clips, more like 10% of that.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UVU3qe ... drive_link

And also, again, just trying to figure out where the bottleneck is. Video Routers are awesome, so many possibilities, have only started to scratch that surface.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

This composition has 28 layers and 764 columns, that's 21392 Clip Slots.
It's not only the number of actual video clips, but the clip slots.
Empty clip slots are only one line in the xml, but clips are starting from 80 lines each.
Any copy, paste, or move action will have to find the corresponding clip in the 512 686 lines of xml, and update it.
Any clip select will have to find the clip in the 21k clip entries and load that.
That will take time.

Organizing the content such that the two layers with the 700+ clips in them would be in two layers instead of one, could cut the numbers of columns needed in half, and with that the number of clips slots too, and everything will be quicker.